Calculate the activity of the chloride ion in a solution

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the activity of chloride ion in a solution containing sodium sulfate, sodium chloride, and iron chloride. The ionic strength is calculated to be 0.0134 and the concentration of chloride ion is 0.0026m. The question is how to continue when there is a mix of different ions. The activity coefficient for an ion with a single charge can be calculated using the equation log(γCl)=-A.|Z|.|I|. Finally, the summary ends with a thank you to Borek for his help.
il postino
Homework Statement
Calculate the activity of the chloride ion in a solution
Relevant Equations
Ionic force
Hi everyone!
I have to calculate the activity of ##Cl^{-}##
I have a solution formed by ## Na_{2}SO_{4}## 0.0016 m + ##NaCl## 0.0014m + ##FeCl_{3}## 0.0012m

I calculated the ionic strength ##I##
##I=0.0134##

The activity of the chloride ion is ##a_{Cl^{-}}=m_{Cl}*\gamma _{Cl}##

But I don't understand how to continue when it is a mix.
Could you help me?
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the concentration of Cl-?

Likes il postino
Borek said:
What is the concentration of Cl-?

0.0014m + 0.0012m = 0,0026m

How do I continue?
Thanks Borek

And for a given I what is the activity coefficient for an ion with a single charge?

Likes il postino
Borek said:
And for a given I what is the activity coefficient for an ion with a single charge?

##m_{Cl}*\gamma _{Cl}##

##log(\gamma _{Cl})=-A.|Z|.\sqrt{I}##

If I calculate ##\gamma _{Cl}## can I calculate the activity without problems?

Plug and chug.

Likes il postino
Borek said:

aCl−=mCl−∗γCl−
Borek said:
Plug and chug.

Muchas gracias Borek! (In Argentina jaja)
Thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating the activity of the chloride ion in a solution?

The formula for calculating the activity of the chloride ion in a solution is: activity of chloride ion = concentration of chloride ion x activity coefficient. The concentration of chloride ion can be measured in moles per liter (M) and the activity coefficient takes into account the effect of other ions on the activity of chloride ion in the solution.

2. How do you determine the concentration of chloride ion in a solution?

The concentration of chloride ion in a solution can be determined by measuring the amount of chloride ion present in a known volume of the solution. This can be done using techniques such as titration or spectroscopy. The concentration can also be calculated from the mass or moles of chloride ion present in the solution.

3. What is the significance of calculating the activity of the chloride ion in a solution?

Calculating the activity of the chloride ion in a solution is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the behavior of the ion in the solution. The activity takes into account the interactions between the chloride ion and other ions present in the solution, which can affect its behavior and reactivity.

4. How does temperature affect the activity of the chloride ion in a solution?

The activity of the chloride ion in a solution is affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the activity coefficient of the ion also increases, resulting in a higher activity. This is because higher temperatures can disrupt the interactions between ions, allowing the chloride ion to behave more freely in the solution.

5. Can the activity of the chloride ion in a solution be greater than its concentration?

Yes, the activity of the chloride ion in a solution can be greater than its concentration. This is because the activity takes into account the interactions between ions, which can increase or decrease the effective concentration of the ion. Therefore, the activity can be higher or lower than the concentration, depending on the specific solution and its components.