Calculate the group velocity in EIT (famous paper: light speed 17m/s)

In summary, the conversation was about a paper on slow light published in Nature and the calculation of the velocity of slow light. The person had trouble with their calculation and asked for help. Another person suggested emailing the authors of the paper and checking the units used in the calculation. The conversation also touched on the use of angular frequencies in quantum theory.
hongqiaozhang
TL;DR Summary
calculation about the group velocity in electromagnetic induced transparency(EIT) in the paper:Light speed reductionto 17 metres per second in an ultracold atomic gas.my result is not agreement with the published one.
hello everyone!
Recently,i'm reading a paper about slow light,that's really a famous work published in Nature.[Light speed reduction to 17 metrespersecond in an ultracold atomicgas].
But I'm trouble with some calculation about the velocity of slow light.here are below:
微信图片_20220707161259.png

i try to use the parameters in this paper and plug them into function(1) to caculate the group velocity of the slow light,the resulting light speed in this paper is 32.5m/s,but my result is 2.94m/s,i checked all the parameters but can't know where the problem is.
Other parameters are below:
function(1)is the group velocity of slow light. in this function,
h/bar is reduced Planck constant,
c is the light velocity in vaccum,
epsilon_0 is vacuum permittivity,
Omega_c is the rabi frequncy of coupling light,
omega_p is the frequncy of probing light,
u13 is the dipole matrix element between 1 and 3,
N is the atomic density.
paper has been attached.
by the way,maybe the dipole matrix element of sodium between zeeman state is not 2.988*10^-29 C·m?
can anybody tell me why my result is not in agreement with the experimental result in this paper?
thanks a lot!
hope everyone well!

Attachments

• Light speed reduction to 17 meters per second.pdf
    508.6 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the paper

The peak density will be higher than the average density, which means the average speed is higher than the slowest speed. That could cause a discrepancy.

You could email the authors and ask if no one here finds a solution.

mfb said:
Here is the paper

The peak density will be higher than the average density, which means the average speed is higher than the slowest speed. That could cause a discrepancy.

You could email the authors and ask if no one here finds a solution.
thank you so much!actually I considered this situation.
I'll email the authers and post their answer if they reply me.
thank you!

hongqiaozhang said:
can anybody tell me why my result is not in agreement with the experimental result in this paper?
It seems the experimental result is simply calculated from ## v_g = L / \tau_\text{delay} = 229~{\rm \mu m} / 7.05~{\rm \mu s} = 32.5~{\rm m/s} ##. The theoretical equation (1) should produce values in the right ballpark, but is perhaps better used to estimate the density ## N ##.

I noticed that you substituted ## c/\lambda ## for ## \omega_p ##, but it should probably have been ## 2 \pi c/\lambda ##. Unfortunately that change goes in the wrong direction. I think it's also unusual to express the Rabi frequency ## \Omega_c ## in ## \rm rad~s^{-1} ##, rather than cycles per second, but I'm not an expert in the field and haven't studied the quoted publications.

But from the paper it seems that they exclusively work with angular frequencies rather than frequencies, as expected in the modern quantum-theoretical literature.

WernerQH said:
It seems the experimental result is simply calculated from ## v_g = L / \tau_\text{delay} = 229~{\rm \mu m} / 7.05~{\rm \mu s} = 32.5~{\rm m/s} ##. The theoretical equation (1) should produce values in the right ballpark, but is perhaps better used to estimate the density ## N ##.

I noticed that you substituted ## c/\lambda ## for ## \omega_p ##, but it should probably have been ## 2 \pi c/\lambda ##. Unfortunately that change goes in the wrong direction. I think it's also unusual to express the Rabi frequency ## \Omega_c ## in ## \rm rad~s^{-1} ##, rather than cycles per second, but I'm not an expert in the field and haven't studied the quoted publications.
thanks for your reply!
Actually,I considered what you said.
First,the time delay is an experimental result,so 32.5m/s is also an experimental result,you are right.what I want to do is use the function(1)as a theoretical result to compare with 32.5m/s.
Secondly,I analysed the dimention of this function.you can see my picture:
捕获.PNG

In the function(1),if you use rad/s for omega_p and rabi frequncy,you get rad·m/s,not m/s.is that right?so I considered the SI units when I used these parameters.
parameters are from:https://steck.us/alkalidata/sodiumnumbers.1.6.pdf;the relationship between international system of units is from:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farad
I don‘t know much about this field either.so thank you for your suggestion.I will use rad/s for rabi frequency.and to my calculation,maybe the peak density will be higher than the average one.
If you find any problems in my answer,could you please contact me?I’m very gald to discuss this question with you.

vanhees71 said:
But from the paper it seems that they exclusively work with angular frequencies rather than frequencies, as expected in the modern quantum-theoretical literature.
thank you.I noticed that.could you please read my reply to WernerQH?I just posted it.
If you find any problems in my answer,please contact me.thank you!

The only thing I see is that you attempt divide ##\Omega_c## by ##2 \pi##. That's not in the formula, but if you think it must be there, you better put it in parenthesis to make sure that both factors are in the denominator. Also rad=1 of course. Then you have ##\omega_{\text{P}}=c k_{\text{P}}=2 \pi c/\lambda_{\text{P}}##.

hongqiaozhang said:
In the function(1),if you use rad/s for omega_p and rabi frequncy,you get rad·m/s,not m/s.is that right?so I considered the SI units when I used these parameters.
It is always wise to check the physical dimensions. :smile:
But people are not always consistent, and then factors of ## 2 \pi ## can slip in.
I think vanHees71 is right that in this case you should set ## \text{rad} = 1 ##.

When in doubt, consult the given references (16-19).

1. What is EIT?

EIT stands for Electromagnetically Induced Transparency, which is a phenomenon in which the absorption of light by a medium is greatly reduced due to the presence of a control laser.

2. What is group velocity?

Group velocity is the speed at which the envelope of a wave packet propagates through a medium. It is the speed at which information is transmitted through a material.

3. How is the group velocity calculated in EIT?

The group velocity in EIT is calculated using the formula vg = c/n, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum and n is the refractive index of the medium. This formula takes into account the effect of the control laser on the medium's refractive index.

4. What is the significance of the famous paper on light speed 17m/s?

The famous paper on light speed 17m/s, published in 1999 by Lene Hau and her team, demonstrated the ability to slow down and even stop light in a medium. This groundbreaking research opened up new possibilities for controlling the speed of light and has potential applications in quantum computing and telecommunications.

5. How does EIT impact our understanding of light and its speed?

EIT has challenged our traditional understanding of light as a constant and unchangeable entity. It has shown that the speed of light can be manipulated and controlled by external factors, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field of optics and photonics.