Calculate the height Trigonometry

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for calculating the height of Point P on a building given the angle of elevation from two different points and a known distance between those points. The methods mentioned include using the sine rule and using ratios of tangents. The final answer is determined to be approximately 27.32 meters.
Peter G.
Hi

A surveyor is attempting to calculate the height of a Point P, on a building by taking measurements on a horizontal level ground. From a point A, the angle of elevation of P is 30 degrees. He then advances 20 m towards Point P, Point B, and measures an angle of elevation of 45 degrees.

Calculate the height of P above the ground: (Answer = 34m)

I tried several ways and I never get 34, only something around 27 m:

180-45 = 135
180-135-30 = 15 degrees.

20 / sin 15 = x / sin 30
= 38.63703305

Then:

sin 45 = O / H
sin 45 x 38.63703305 = O
O = 27.32

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try using tan and then make the distance on the ground 20 + x. Which would be tan (30) = h/(20+x). That will get you started.

Your result looks good to me !

In fact, I got the same answer using the right triangle with the 30° angle.

Yes, I think maybe the book is wrong... Sometimes it happens!

But if you guys don't mind, how do I do with the right angle triangle?

You used the 45 -- 45 right triangle, I used the 30 -- 60 right triangle, very similar to what you did.

How do you know the hypotenuse given your information? (and as such, how can you use sin/cos since your hypotenuse changes with the change in location as well?)

This is a ratio of tangents as Drummingatom pointed out.

(I get ~34.64m when I quickly plug it into a calculator)

The hypothenuse I got using sine rule. I got the angle opposite to the 20 m by doing 180 - 30 - (180-45)

Hmmm, I just wrote out the tanget solution and it comes up with 27.3205 (just like running it through sines does). I see my mistake in what I plugged into the calculator hastily, sorry (ironic that it came close to your book answer).

h = height, x = distance from 45* to building (thus 30* to building is x+20)

tan 45 = h/x = 1, x=h
tan 30 = x/(x+20)
... few steps later
(20*tan 30)/(1-tan 30) = x = 27.32

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. How do you calculate the height of an object using Trigonometry?

To calculate the height of an object using Trigonometry, you will need to use the tangent function. First, measure the distance from the base of the object to the point where you want to find the height. Then, measure the angle between the ground and the top of the object. Finally, use the formula h = d * tan(θ), where h is the height, d is the distance, and θ is the angle.

3. Can Trigonometry be used to find the height of an object that is not directly measurable?

Yes, Trigonometry can be used to find the height of an object that is not directly measurable. This can be done by using similar triangles and applying the principles of Trigonometry to find the unknown height.

4. Are there any other methods to calculate height besides Trigonometry?

Yes, there are other methods to calculate height besides Trigonometry. One alternative method is using the Pythagorean theorem, where the height can be calculated using the sides of a right triangle. Another method is using basic geometry principles, such as similar triangles or the area of a triangle formula, to find the height.

5. How accurate is Trigonometry in calculating height?

Trigonometry is a highly accurate method for calculating height. However, the accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements and the precision of the calculations. It is important to use precise measurements and perform accurate calculations to get an accurate result.