Calculating distance of Mars from the Sun based on two elongations

In summary, the triangle E1, S, M and E2, S, M have an angle of 43 degrees between them. The triangle E2, S, M will reach the angle E1, S, M in 42.41 days. The angle between E1 and E2 is 57.41 degrees.
danunicamp
Homework Statement
Hello, This is problem 13b, from chapter 1 of Zeilik, Gregory, Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics.
Mars has a synodic period of 779.9 days and a sidereal period of 686.98 days.
On February 11, 1990, Mars had an elongation of 43° West.
The elongation of Mars 687 days later, on December 30, 1991, was 15° West.
What is the distance of Mars from the Sun in astronomical units?
Relevant Equations
Law sins, law cosines
I called the point E1 the point where Earth was at Feb,11 1990 and E2 at 30, Dec 1991, S for Sun and M for Mars and r for the Mars-Sun distance.
Since we got a whole sidereal period between both alongation, I assumed Mars was on the same point in space (wrt Sun).

I think I got the triangles wrong, since I already redid the calculations twice.
I defined the triangles E1, S, M and E2, S, M.
E1, S, M with a side r opposite to the angle of 43 deg, a side 1 opposite to the angle SME1.
E2, S, M with a side r opposite to the angle of 15 deg, a side 1 opposite to the angle SME2.
The sides SE1 and E2M crossed at a point P.

I calculated that in (730-687) 43 days, or 42.41 degrees, the point E2 would reach E1. And with that got the angle of 42.41 in E2SP.
From that i got the angle of 122.59 at SPE2 and the same angle at E1PM.
From that I got the angle of 57.41 at SPM.
The angle E1MP was 14.41 (180 - 43 - 122.69)
From the law of sins (1/sin 122.59 = SP/sin 15) I calculated the side SP to be 0,3 and PE2 to be 0.7 (1 - 0.3).
From the law of sins I calculated the side PM to be 1.98 (0.7/sin 14.41 = PM/sin 43).
With the sides 0.3, 1.98 and r and the angle 57.41 i used the law of cosines:
r^2 = 0.3^2 + 1.98^2 - 2 (0.3)(1.98)(cos57.41)
and got a r = 1.83, which is wrong, since the Sun-Mars distance is 1.52 AU.

I know it is hard to visualize without the picture. Is there any way to add it here?
Any help would be very welcome. Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_20230429_000304.jpg

There are so many steps to the calculation I would worry about rounding errors.
Try writing those steps in a spreadsheet so that much more precision is carried through.

1. How is the distance of Mars from the Sun calculated based on two elongations?

The distance of Mars from the Sun can be calculated using a mathematical formula known as Kepler's third law. This law states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the Sun. By measuring the orbital period of Mars and using the known values for the Sun's mass and gravitational constant, we can calculate the distance of Mars from the Sun based on two elongations.

2. What are elongations and how do they relate to the distance of Mars from the Sun?

Elongations are the points in a planet's orbit where it is farthest from or closest to the Sun. In the case of Mars, there are two elongations: the superior elongation, when Mars is on the opposite side of the Sun from Earth, and the inferior elongation, when Mars is between the Sun and Earth. By measuring the angles between these elongations and the Sun, we can determine the distance of Mars from the Sun using trigonometry.

3. How accurate is the calculated distance of Mars from the Sun based on two elongations?

The calculated distance of Mars from the Sun based on two elongations is typically accurate within a few percentage points. However, it should be noted that the distance between Mars and the Sun is constantly changing due to the elliptical shape of Mars's orbit and the gravitational influence of other planets. Therefore, the calculated distance may vary slightly from the actual distance at any given time.

4. Can this method be used to calculate the distance of other planets from the Sun?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the distance of any planet from the Sun as long as we have accurate measurements of its orbital period and the angles between its elongations and the Sun. However, the accuracy of the calculation may vary depending on the specific orbit and gravitational influences of each planet.

5. Why is it important to calculate the distance of Mars from the Sun?

Knowing the distance of Mars from the Sun is important for various reasons. It helps us understand the dynamics of the solar system and how different planets interact with each other. It also allows us to accurately predict the positions of Mars and other planets in the sky, which is crucial for space exploration and navigation. Additionally, the distance of Mars from the Sun affects its climate and potential habitability, making it an important factor in the search for extraterrestrial life.