Calculate the isotopic shift of the analogue states for Cr and Mn

In summary: whatis.html that isotopic shift is the difference in the abundance of an element in two different isotopic forms.
patric44
Homework Statement
given the isotopic doublet Cr-Mn ,calculate the isotopic shift of the analogue states given the information below.
Relevant Equations
Ex> = Ex<+Exe+delta , where delta is the shift
hi guys
my nuclear physics professor gave us a hand written notes about a the isospin multiplets of elements, the notes provides a brief not clear introduction to the topic with some formulas for calculations, as following
$$
E_{xe} = \Delta\;E_{B}+\Delta\;E_{c}
$$
$$
\Delta\;E_{B}= E_{B}(z>,A)-E_{B}(z<,A)
$$
$$
\Delta\;E_{c}= 1.45*\frac{z>}{A^{1/3}}-1.03
$$
and finally
$$
E_{x>} = E_{x>}+E_{xe}+\delta
$$
the notes are very old and written by hand so its not clear, but i systematically manged to get through how to calculate the isotopic shift for the multiplet (B-C-N) in the example provided in the notes, However i found the following problem asking the same question :
1657215104216.png

is there is something missing in the given data, like where is Ex> and Ex< for Cr or Mn to calculate the isotopic shift??
is there are anyone familiar with this topic in nuclear physics , i will appreciate any help, also i was not able to find this topic as its with the given equations in any nuclear physics book that i knew, most of them talk about neutron proton isospin and T,Tz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just want to make sure, is it called the isobaric analogue states or the isotopic analogue states?, and can anyone suggest to me a book or some notes on the subject, i would really appreciate it

Definition - isobar, in nuclear physics, any member of a group of atomic or nuclear species all of which have the same mass number — that is, the same total number of protons and neutrons. Isotope refers to nuclides of the same element, i.e., some number of protons (and electrons in a neutral atom) and differing number of neutrons. Each nuclide 47Cr and 47Mn are radionuclides in general, and are isotopes (radioisotopes) of the respective elements, but they are isobars to one another. Both decay by electron capture. 47Mn (88 ms) -> 47Cr (500 ms) -> 47V (32.6 min) -> 47Ti (stable).

Cr has three stable isotopes/nuclides, 52Cr, 53Cr and 54Cr, with 50Cr is more or less stable due to a very long half life, est. >1.3E+18 y.

Mn has one stable isotope/nuclide 55Mn.

Confirm with https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat3/

Likes patric44

1. What is an isotopic shift?

An isotopic shift is the change in energy levels of an atom caused by the presence of different isotopes of the same element. This shift is due to the difference in mass between the isotopes, which affects the electronic structure and energy levels of the atom.

2. How is the isotopic shift of analogue states calculated?

The isotopic shift of analogue states is calculated by taking the difference in energy levels between the isotopes of the same element. This can be done using spectroscopic techniques, such as laser spectroscopy, which can measure the precise energy levels of the atoms.

3. Why is it important to calculate the isotopic shift of analogue states?

Calculating the isotopic shift of analogue states is important because it can provide valuable information about the electronic structure and properties of atoms. This information can be used in various fields, such as nuclear physics, atomic and molecular spectroscopy, and even in the development of new materials.

4. What are the factors that affect the isotopic shift of analogue states?

The two main factors that affect the isotopic shift of analogue states are the difference in mass between the isotopes and the nuclear spin of the isotopes. Other factors that may also play a role include the electronic structure and the presence of external fields or interactions.

5. Can the isotopic shift of analogue states be measured experimentally?

Yes, the isotopic shift of analogue states can be measured experimentally using various spectroscopic techniques. These techniques involve exciting the atoms and measuring the energy levels using lasers or other instruments. The resulting data can then be used to calculate the isotopic shift.