Calculate the Max Detection Radar Range

In summary, the radar system has a transmitter power of 10Kw, an RCS of 1m sq, a frequency of 3Ghz, and a loss of 5dB. The radar dish radius is .5m, and the noise level is -140dBW. The radar system has a range of 252 meters.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

I am asked to find the Max detection range of the following radar system:
Transmitter Power, Pt = 10Kw
RCS = 1 m sq.
Frequency = 3Ghz
Losses, Ls = 5dB
radar dish radius, r = .5m
Noise level, N = -140dbW
SNR= 13 dB

Homework Equations

Radar Max range = ((Pt*(G^2)*RCS*(Wavelength^2)*Ls)/((4pi^3)*(r^4)*SNR) )^1/4

The Attempt at a Solution

So i first converted freq. to wavelength by 3x10^8 / 3x10^9 = 0.1.
Then converted losses from dB to get 1x10^-5
Converted Noise level from dBW to Watts to get 1x10^-14 (not totally sure of this step)
Then put the noise level into SNR gives 13dB = 10log(Psignal/1x10^-14) and solving for Psignal gives 1.99x10^13
Putting this into equation i get a range of 252 metres obviously this is far too small, as you can tell I am struggling a bit with the dB conversions.Can anybody spot where I've gone wrong? Would really appreciate some help been trying to figure this out for a while with no joy. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your math is wrong. Correct the losses and Psig.

Okay i can see where I've gone wrong for losses, 10log(y) = 5dB > y = 10^(5/10) = 3.16 is this correct? however I am unsure where I've gone wrong for the Psig

You slipped a sign

Sorry I am unsure if you still mean the losses is wrong or the Psig

Psig

So SNR 13dB = 10log(Psignal/PNoise) and converting PNoise into Watts is what I am unsure of because i know you can't actually convert -130dbW into Watts so I am not sure if it converts as -1x10^14 or 1x10^-14 but the latter gave a more favourable result.

Why do you say that I can’t actually do it? Of course it’s possible. How do you convert dBW to W?

Ahh yeah sorry i see what you mean now it should be 1.99x10^-13 however I am still getting a fairly low value of 1891m
this is what my whole equation looks like:
4th root (( 10x10^3 * 0.1^2 * 3.16) / (4pi^3 * 0.5^4 * 1.99^-13))
Am i right in assuming gain should be taken as 1 if not stated?

No, G is the gain of the antenna which you have to calculate from its radius and the wavelength. Look up the formula. Also your equation should not have the factor of r^4 in the denominator, go back and re-derive it.
EDIT: Also the way you've defined Loss as a positive number in dB implies that the loss term should be in the denominator. Losses always reduce range, not increase it!

Perhaps should have shown you this at the start but this is the formula I am going off

Attachments

• radar equation.png
    radar equation.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 774
That equation is wrong, your prof messed up cross-multiplying the range. Also as I said, you have inverted the losses.
You can find the correct range equation online at hundred of sites. Here's a slide presentation that looks particularly clear
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...amentals.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3Y8TMdtCy7x02XfvdCAo4l
with antenna gain on slide 14 and range on 17. But honestly you can find it in any radar book or site.

He seems to have made so many mistakes in the notes! I will use the notes you provided from now on, putting the loss in the denominator and entering a gain value gives a much more reasonable answer. Thank you very much for being so patient, you have helped tremendously!

Good! Glad to have helped.

Likes MattH150197

1. How is the max detection radar range calculated?

The max detection radar range is calculated using the radar equation, which takes into account factors such as the transmit power, antenna gain, target cross section, and receiver sensitivity.

2. What is the significance of the max detection radar range?

The max detection radar range is important because it determines the maximum distance at which a radar system can detect and track a target. This information is crucial for military, aviation, and weather radar systems.

3. Can the max detection radar range be increased?

Yes, the max detection radar range can be increased by increasing the transmit power, using a more directional antenna, and improving the receiver sensitivity. However, these changes may also increase the cost and complexity of the radar system.

4. How accurate is the max detection radar range calculation?

The accuracy of the max detection radar range calculation depends on the accuracy of the input parameters, such as the target cross section and receiver sensitivity. In real-world scenarios, other factors such as atmospheric conditions and clutter may also affect the accuracy.

5. Can the max detection radar range be used for all types of targets?

No, the max detection radar range is specific to the target's size, shape, and radar cross section. It may also vary depending on the radar system's operating frequency and the target's material composition. Different targets may have different max detection radar ranges.

Back