Calculate the Pressure that Shrink film exerts on a cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in solving a problem involving a shrink film and a cylinder. The speaker is unsure if the equation is suitable for solving the problem and has no idea how to determine the tension of the shrink film. They also mention that the radius of the film tube may affect the pressure and provide some technical information on the material. The shrink film has a width of 0.2 m and the cylinder has a radius of 0.04 m. The speaker is seeking tips, experience, or suggestions to solve the problem.
Sjaak
Homework Statement
Exercise: Calculate the pressure shrink film tube exerts on a cylinder
Relevant Equations
This is a problem solving exercise which requires some research to get to the right method and answer.
for a start I think I can use a derivative of the laplace equation often used for calculating the pressure of a bandage onto a human limb to calculate the pressure.

P (Pascals)= Tension (Newtons) / Radius (metres) x Film width (metres)
First off I am not sure if the equation is even suitable for solving this problem. Secondly, I have no idea how to determine the tension the shrink film can provide. Furthermore, I also think the radius of the film tube has a influence on the pressure, I guess in this problem the tube is regarded to have (nearly) the same radius as the cylinder. I do have some technical information on the material such as stress strain curves.

The shrink film width is a 0.2 m and the cylinder radius is 0.04 m.

I am not great at math and physics so bear with me, but I really want to solve this problem. Any tips, experience or suggestions are welcome :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to need to find the tension somehow, but there's not enough info so far.
What else do you know?

1. What is the formula for calculating the pressure exerted by shrink film on a cylinder?

The formula for calculating pressure is P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the area over which the force is applied. In this case, the force is the weight of the shrink film and the area is the surface area of the cylinder.

2. How do I measure the weight of the shrink film?

You can use a scale to measure the weight of the shrink film. Place the film on the scale and record the weight in either grams or kilograms. Make sure to subtract the weight of the cylinder from the total weight to get the weight of the shrink film alone.

3. How do I calculate the surface area of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a cylinder is A = 2πr² + 2πrh, where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder. Measure the radius and height of the cylinder in either inches or centimeters and plug them into the formula to calculate the surface area.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for this calculation?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as you are consistent. For example, if you measure the weight of the shrink film in grams, then you should also use centimeters for the radius and height of the cylinder.

5. What factors can affect the pressure exerted by shrink film on a cylinder?

The pressure exerted by shrink film on a cylinder can be affected by the weight of the film, the surface area of the cylinder, the type of material the film is made of, and the temperature at which the film was applied. Other factors such as the tightness of the film and any air bubbles present can also affect the pressure. It is important to measure and calculate accurately to get an accurate pressure reading.