Calculate the pressure using the Van der Waal equation on reduced variables

In summary, the pressure using the vdW equation for a sample of 74.8 grams of ethane in a ##200 cm^3## container and at ##310.5 K## is 808.5 atm.
il postino
Summary:: Find the pressure using the vdw equation in reduced variables

Hi everyone!
I have a doubt when I try to solve this exercise. The result was very high pressure.
Calculate the pressure using the reduced variable vdW equation for a sample of 74.8 grams of ethane in a ##200 cm^3## container and at ##310.5 K##. The ##P_c = 48.2 atm## and ##T_c = 305.4K##

I calculated the correction factors a and b as a function of ##T_c## and ##P_c##
##a=(27R^2T_c^2)/(64P_c)##
##b = (RT_c)/(8P_c)##

##a=5,489 L^2 atm/mol^2##
##b=0,0649 L/mol##

Then I calculated the moles and then calculated the molar volume:
74.8 gramos = 2,493 mol

##V_m = 0,2L/2,493mol##
##V_m = 0,08022 L/mol##

and the van der Waals equation of state:

##(P + \frac{a}{V_m^2})(V_m -b) = RT##

and clearing ##P## and replacing:

##(P + \frac{5.489}{(0,08022)^2})(0.08022 -0.0649) = (0.082)(310.5)##

##P = 808,5 atm##

This is possible?
Is the procedure correct?
Thank you very much for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all carry the units and be sure to check each step of the calculation.
Always. Habitually. Never Forget.
I believe the first calculation (for a ) my be wrong. Now check all of them.

Likes anorlunda
hutchphd said:
First of all carry the units and be sure to check each step of the calculation.
Always. Habitually. Never Forget.
I believe the first calculation (for a ) my be wrong. Now check all of them.

hi hutchphd! :)
I checked and they give me well the factor "a".
I did the calculation again and it gives ##a=5,489 L^2 atm/mol^2 ##
thanks for the advice!

I'll take a look again later if you still don't find the problem. Does seem wrong to me...shouldn't the molar volume at 50 atm be ~half a liter (22.4 l/mole at stp)?
sorry i revised

• Skeptical
Likes il postino
hutchphd said:
I'll take a look again later if you still don't find the problem. Does seem wrong to me...shouldn't the molar volume at 50 atm be ~half a liter (22.4 l/mole at stp)?
sorry i revised

I can't find the error, if there is one
:(

The values for a and b seem correct (and match published values!). The "occluded space" "b" for 2.5 mole is therefore ~.165 liter and so the pressure is going to be pretty damned high! I think your answer is correct (sorry for my lousy intuition here) Good luck.

Likes il postino
hutchphd said:
The values for a and b seem correct (and match published values!). The "occluded space" "b" for 2.5 mole is therefore ~.165 liter and so the pressure is going to be pretty damned high! I think your answer is correct (sorry for my lousy intuition here) Good luck.

You have been very helpful! thank you very much!

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the Van der Waal equation?

The Van der Waal equation is an equation of state that describes the behavior of real gases. It takes into account the volume and attractive forces between gas particles, which are not considered in the ideal gas law.

2. What are reduced variables?

Reduced variables are dimensionless quantities that are used in the Van der Waal equation to simplify calculations. They are obtained by dividing the actual values of pressure, volume, and temperature by their respective critical values.

3. How do you calculate pressure using the Van der Waal equation on reduced variables?

The pressure can be calculated using the following formula: P = (RT / V-b) - a/ V^2, where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, V is the molar volume, and a and b are the Van der Waal constants for the specific gas.

4. What is the significance of using the Van der Waal equation on reduced variables?

Using the Van der Waal equation on reduced variables allows for a more accurate calculation of pressure for real gases, as it takes into account the volume and attractive forces between gas particles. It also allows for easier comparison between different gases, as the reduced variables are dimensionless.

5. What are the limitations of the Van der Waal equation?

The Van der Waal equation is not accurate for all gases, as it assumes that the attractive forces between gas particles are constant and independent of temperature and pressure. It also does not take into account the behavior of gases at extreme temperatures and pressures.