Calculate the pressure-volume work for the given reaction

anjauk2003
New user has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork problems.
Homework Statement
Assume that 2.00 moles of water are formed according to the following reaction at constant
pressure (101.3 kPa) and constant temperature (298 K):
I have to calculate the pressure-volume work for the given reaction and i really dont know how to start or what to use. Can someone help me?
Relevant Equations
2 H2(g) + O2(g) --> 2 H2O(l)
I dont have an solution Attempt. Maybe something with PV=nRT but this is for ideal gas and H2O is liquid. An other formula they introduced us to is: dE=-P*V

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anjauk2003 said:
dE=-P*V

If it is about work more like P*dV.

What is the initial volume of the mixture, and what is the final volume?

Borek said:
If it is about work more like P*dV.

What is the initial volume of the mixture, and what is the final volume?
That's the problem. I dont have more information. I wrote down everything i got.

You have everything you need. What is volume of water produced? What reacted?

What is pressure-volume work?

Pressure-volume work is the amount of work done when a gas expands or contracts against a constant external pressure. It is calculated by multiplying the change in volume by the external pressure.

Why is it important to calculate the pressure-volume work for a reaction?

Calculating the pressure-volume work allows us to determine the amount of energy involved in a reaction. This information is crucial in understanding the thermodynamics of a reaction and its potential to do work.

How do you calculate the pressure-volume work for a given reaction?

The pressure-volume work can be calculated using the formula W = -PΔV, where W is the work, P is the external pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. Make sure to use consistent units for pressure and volume in the calculation.

What are the units for pressure-volume work?

The units for pressure-volume work are joules (J) in the SI system and calories (cal) in the calorie-based system. However, it is important to note that the units for pressure-volume work may vary depending on the units used for pressure and volume in the calculation.

Can pressure-volume work be negative?

Yes, pressure-volume work can be negative. This occurs when the gas is expanding against an external pressure, resulting in a decrease in energy. On the other hand, positive pressure-volume work indicates that the gas is contracting and gaining energy.