Calculate the Resistance of the RC circuit so that LED just stays on

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple series circuit with a 12V supply battery, 12μ6 F capacitor, a resistor, and a 2V drop LED with an imax of 30mA at a frequency of 10Hz. The goal is to calculate the resistance of the resistor so that the LED remains on. The equations used are resistance of capacitor Xc = 1/2∏fC, P=VI, V=IR, and Impedance = √R^2+Xc^2. The value of Xc is calculated to be 1326.3 Ω and the power P is found to be 0.36 W. The conversation ends with the person asking for
rhiannynd
In a simple series circuit there is a 12V supply battery, 12μ6 F capacitor, a Resistor, and a 2v drop LED with an imax of 30mA. frequency is 10Hz
Calculate the resistance of the resistor so that the LED just stays on.

Homework Equations

Resistance of Capacitor Xc = 1/2∏fC
P=VI
V=IR
Impedence = √R^2+Xc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Xc = 1/2∏x10x12x10^6
=1326.3 Ω
P=vxI
P = 12 x 0.03A
=0.36w

i have no idea what else to do ! any help would be greatly appreciated please please please

Physics news on Phys.org
A battery with 10 Hz? That's a new one on me.

So, is Rhian (PS: welcome to PF) out of trouble now ?

BvU said:
So, is Rhian (PS: welcome to PF) out of trouble now ?

He/she doesn't seem interested in pursuing this fascinating ac battery problem, all the 'please pleases' notwithstanding ...

To calculate the resistance of the resistor, we can use the formula V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. In this case, we know the voltage (12V) and the current (30mA), so we can rearrange the formula to solve for R:

R = V/I = 12V / 0.03A = 400 Ω

This means that the resistance of the resistor should be 400 Ω in order for the LED to just stay on. You can also double check this by calculating the power using the formula P=VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. In this case, the power should be equal to the power of the LED (0.36W) since the resistor and LED are in series.

We can also use the formula for impedance, which takes into account both the resistance and the reactance (Xc) of the circuit. The formula is Z = √(R^2 + Xc^2). In this case, the impedance should also be equal to the resistance of the resistor, since there is no other reactance in the circuit. So, Z = √(400^2 + 1326.3^2) = 1390 Ω, which is close to the value we calculated for the resistance of the resistor.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account any potential losses in the circuit. In a real-world scenario, the actual resistance of the resistor may need to be slightly higher to compensate for these losses and ensure that the LED stays on.

Related to Calculate the Resistance of the RC circuit so that LED just stays on

1. How do you calculate the resistance of an RC circuit to keep an LED on?

To calculate the resistance of an RC circuit, you will need to use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage across the circuit, and I is the current flowing through the circuit. In this case, you will need to use the specific voltage and current values of the LED to determine the appropriate resistance.

2. What factors affect the resistance of an RC circuit for an LED?

The main factors that affect the resistance of an RC circuit for an LED are the voltage and current requirements of the LED, as well as the capacitance and resistance values of the circuit components. Additionally, the type and quality of the components used can also impact resistance.

3. How does the capacitance of an RC circuit impact the resistance needed for the LED?

The capacitance of an RC circuit affects the resistance needed for the LED by determining the time constant of the circuit. The time constant is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to a certain percentage of its maximum voltage. In this case, the capacitance will affect how quickly the LED turns on and off, and therefore, the resistance needed to keep it on.

4. Is there a specific value for the resistance of an RC circuit that will always keep an LED on?

No, the resistance needed for an RC circuit to keep an LED on will vary depending on the specific voltage and current requirements of the LED, as well as the values of the circuit components. It is important to calculate the resistance for each individual circuit to ensure proper functionality.

5. How can I test the resistance of an RC circuit for an LED?

You can test the resistance of an RC circuit for an LED by using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the resistance (ohms) setting and connect the leads to the circuit. The resistance value will be displayed on the multimeter screen. You can then adjust the circuit components as needed to achieve the desired resistance for the LED to stay on.