Calculate the RMS current of an ac circuit

Yes, if it's readable.In summary, the problem is to calculate the RMS value of a current given by i= 3+ 4 sin(ωt+π/3), using the equation Irms2=(∫0T [I(t)]2dt)/T. The solution involves integrating the current over one period, but this can result in a T term. The poster is unsure of how to type the result and asks if they can post a picture.
randomgamernerd

Homework Statement

: [/B]
calculate rms value of current i= 3+ 4 sin(ωt+π/3)

Homework Equations

Irms2=(∫0T [I(t)]2dt)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

: I tried to integrate but I'm getting a T term.

Physics news on Phys.org
randomgamernerd said:

Homework Statement

calculate rms value of current i= 3+ 4 sin(ωt+π/3)

Homework Equations

Irms2=(∫0T [I(t)]2dt)/T

The Attempt at a Solution

: I tried to integrate but I'm getting a T term.
What result do you get for the integration ?

SammyS said:
What result do you get for the integration ?
I don't know how to type it...can I post a picture?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC (direct current) circuit where the current flows in one direction only.

2. How is RMS current different from average current?

RMS (Root Mean Square) current is a measure of the effective current in an AC circuit. It is calculated by taking the square root of the mean (average) of the squared values of the current over one cycle. This is different from the average current which is simply the average of the values of the current over one cycle.

3. What is the formula for calculating RMS current?

The formula for calculating RMS current in an AC circuit is: RMS current = (peak current / √2).

4. How do I find the peak current in an AC circuit?

To find the peak current in an AC circuit, you can use a multimeter or an oscilloscope to measure the maximum value of the current over one cycle. Alternatively, if you know the voltage and resistance in the circuit, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R) to calculate the peak current.

5. Why is it important to calculate the RMS current in an AC circuit?

Calculating the RMS current in an AC circuit is important because it gives a more accurate measure of the actual current flowing in the circuit. This is especially important when dealing with high voltage circuits, as the peak current may be significantly higher than the RMS current, and can cause damage to components if not properly accounted for.