Calculate the theoretical yield percentage for this reaction

In summary, based on the given conversions and atomic masses, 1.0 t of impure Si contains approximately 3.6x10^4 mol of Si and would be expected to produce 1.4x10^4 mol of SiCl4. However, it should be noted that this impure Si material only contains 92% Si, so further calculations may be needed to determine the actual amount of Si present and the expected yield percentage.
Kiah Palmer
Homework Statement
In the first step of silicon purification, a reaction is brought about between the impure silicon and chlorine. Pure silicon is then used, in the computer industry, for the manufacture of microchips.

Si + Cl2 -> SiCl4 (unbalanced equation)

Given that the silicon is 92% pure, calculate the theoretical yield percentage if 1.0 t of impure silicon produces 2.33 t of silicon (IV) chloride.
Relevant Equations
(Balanced Equation) Si + 2Cl2 -> SiCl4
Conversion: 1.0 t = 1.0x10^6 g impure Si
Conversion: 2.33 t = 2.33x10^6 g SiCl4
Atomic Mass Si = 28.085 g/mol
Atomic Mass Cl2 = (2 x 35.453) = 70.906 g/mol
Mass SiCl4 = 28.085 + (4x35.453) = 169.897 g/molI got all this part down, however, I'm not quite sure where I am supposed to go from there...

Physics news on Phys.org
How much silicon is there in 1.0 t of the starting material? How much SiCl4 would you expect to make from it?

so for that, I would need to find Mol Si and mol SiCl4, which I believe is as follows:

Theoretical # mol Si = 1.0x10^6 g / 28.085 g/mol = 3.6x10^4 mol

Theoretical # Mol SiCl4 = 2.33x10^6 g / 169.897 g/mol = 1.4x10^4 mol

I think this would be correct for the # mol (if that was even needed) But I am still a bit confused as to what I would do next. Is this where the equation to find the theoretical yield percentage would go?? Or is there steps in between missing still?

Last edited:
Kiah Palmer said:
Theoretical # mol Si = 1.0x10^6 g / 28.085 g/mol = 3.6x10^4 mol

No. You don't have a ton of Si. You have a ton of a material which contains 92% Si.

Borek said:
No. You don't have a ton of Si. You have a ton of a material which contains 92% Si.
Ok, so then I would need to use Mol SiCl4 then calculate the yield percent? Or do I need to find out what 92% of the mass of Si would be first, then recalculate mol?

See my first post in the thread, it addresses exactly questions you are asking now.

1. What is the formula for calculating theoretical yield percentage?

The formula for calculating theoretical yield percentage is: (Actual Yield / Theoretical Yield) x 100%. This formula gives the percentage of the expected amount of product that was actually obtained in the reaction.

2. How do you determine the theoretical yield of a reaction?

The theoretical yield of a reaction can be determined by using stoichiometry, which involves balancing the chemical equation and using the molar ratios of the reactants and products to calculate the expected amount of product that should be produced.

3. What factors can affect the theoretical yield of a reaction?

Theoretical yield can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the purity of the reactants, temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or side reactions. Human error and experimental limitations can also impact the theoretical yield.

4. How does the theoretical yield percentage relate to the actual yield?

The theoretical yield percentage is a measure of how efficient the reaction was in producing the expected amount of product. The actual yield is the amount of product that was actually obtained in the reaction. The theoretical yield percentage is calculated by comparing the actual yield to the theoretical yield, and it can give insight into the success of the reaction and any potential sources of error.

5. Why is it important to calculate the theoretical yield percentage?

Calculating the theoretical yield percentage is important because it allows scientists to evaluate the success and efficiency of a reaction. It can also help identify any potential sources of error or areas for improvement in future experiments. Additionally, knowing the theoretical yield can aid in determining the appropriate amount of reactants to use in order to achieve a desired amount of product.