Calculate the time needed to fill a compressor

In summary, Koniako is seeking help with sizing the pipe for filling a helium compressor with a mass of 2m3 of gaseous helium. They have a Δp of 500mbar available over a distance of 10-15 meters and the filling procedure is expected to take an hour. They are asking for advice on which method to follow.
Kostis82
Dear all,

I would like to have your help for a problem that i face. I know that it is a little bit ridiculous, but my brain is stacked right now!

I have a helium compressor that i want to fill it with helium at room temperature 293K @ 1.013bar. This compressor will be connected with a pipe. As i want to size the pipe i assume that the filling procedure takes about an hour. I have available 500mbar of Δp for a distance of 10-15 meters.

Which method should i follow?

Thanks everybody in advance,
Regards
Koniako

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kostis82 said:
Dear all,

I would like to have your help for a problem that i face. I know that it is a little bit ridiculous, but my brain is stacked right now!

I have a helium compressor that i want to fill it with helium at room temperature 293K @ 1.013bar. This compressor will be connected with a pipe. As i want to size the pipe i assume that the filling procedure takes about an hour. I have available 500mbar of Δp for a distance of 10-15 meters.

Which method should i follow?

Thanks everybody in advance,
Regards
Koniako
It's not clear what you are trying to do.

Are you talking about filling a receiver (a tank) with helium gas?

Hi steamking,

thanks for your answer..
I am trying to size the pipe for filling my compressor. The mass of the compressor that i have to fill is 2m3 of gaseous helium and i try to calculate the size of the line..! I am sorry if i didn't explain better..!

Thanks again...
Koniako

1. How do you calculate the time needed to fill a compressor?

The time needed to fill a compressor can be calculated by dividing the compressor's tank capacity (in gallons) by the compressor's flow rate (in gallons per minute). The resulting number is the time (in minutes) it will take to fill the compressor tank.

2. What is the tank capacity of a compressor?

The tank capacity of a compressor is the maximum amount of air that the compressor can hold. It is usually measured in gallons and can range from a few gallons for small compressors to hundreds of gallons for larger ones.

3. What is the flow rate of a compressor?

The flow rate of a compressor is the amount of air that the compressor can deliver per unit of time. It is usually measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or cubic feet per minute (CFM) and can vary depending on the size and power of the compressor.

4. Can the time needed to fill a compressor be affected by external factors?

Yes, the time needed to fill a compressor can be affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude. These factors can affect the performance and efficiency of the compressor, thereby altering the time it takes to fill the tank.

5. How can I increase the time needed to fill a compressor?

The time needed to fill a compressor can be increased by increasing the tank capacity or flow rate of the compressor. Regular maintenance and proper usage of the compressor can also help maintain its efficiency and reduce the time needed to fill the tank.