Calculate the total reflectance on a surface

In summary, you can calculate the reflection of EM radiation from a surface with different incidence angles using a structure like a photonic crystal.
maxclark153
Hi,

I have a structure and I can calculate the reflection from the surface (S11 or S21)with different incidence angle.

Now I would like to calculate the total reflectance of the hemisphere above the surface.. how can I integrate them all ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
maxclark153 said:
Hi,

I have a structure and I can calculate the reflection from the surface (S11 or S21)with different incidence angle.

Now I would like to calculate the total reflectance of the hemisphere above the surface.. how can I integrate them all ?

What is the context of the question? I'm thinking that I should move this thread to a better matched forum instead of EE?

the context is the reflection of electromagnetic wave, isn't it belongs here _?

maxclark153 said:
the context is the reflection of electromagnetic wave, isn't it belongs here _?

If I read your question correctly, it is more about reflection at the atomic level, not the macroscopic level that EEs typically work at. Is this question for school, or for work? If for school, which class is it for? That would help me figure out where to put your question.

No, I don't think this has anything to do with atoms. Sound like the question might be related to e.g. antennas.

Let me see if I understand the question.
You know S11(theta,phi), where theta and phi are the angles in spherical coordinates.

Are you asking what S11 would be for an isotropic source of EM radiation?

It is not a antenna question.. The S11 or S21 is just to describe the reflection and transmission.

So now I am investigated the angle dependent transmission through a photonic crystal structure. ( with incident beam - wide range of freq). Now i need to know how can I calculate the total reflectance from the surface of my structure

thanks

1. What is total reflectance?

Total reflectance is the measurement of the amount of light that is reflected off a surface. It is a ratio of the total reflected light to the total incident light on the surface. This measurement is typically expressed as a percentage.

2. How is total reflectance calculated?

Total reflectance is calculated by measuring the intensity of the light reflected off a surface and dividing it by the intensity of the incident light. This calculation takes into account the wavelength and angle of the incident light, as well as the surface properties of the material being measured.

3. What factors can affect total reflectance?

Total reflectance can be affected by several factors, including the properties of the surface material, the angle of incident light, the wavelength of the light, and the roughness or texture of the surface. Other environmental factors such as humidity and temperature can also impact total reflectance measurements.

4. Why is measuring total reflectance important?

Measuring total reflectance is important for a variety of scientific and practical applications. It can be used to determine the optical properties of materials, such as their color and transparency, and to study the behavior of light on different surfaces. Total reflectance measurements are also useful in industries such as optics, photovoltaics, and lighting design.

5. How can total reflectance be measured?

Total reflectance can be measured using various instruments, such as spectrophotometers, reflectometers, and integrating spheres. These devices use different techniques to measure the amount of light reflected off a surface and calculate total reflectance. The appropriate instrument to use will depend on the specific material and conditions being measured.