Calculate the total resistance by integration using the conductivity equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the resistance of a rod divided into discs of thickness dx and the integration of the entire rod using a given equation. The individual resistance of a disc is calculated using a formula, but the final answer includes an additional term that causes confusion. It is suggested to instead interpolate using a straight line equation and integrate from x=0 to x=L to obtain the correct answer, which is in agreement with numerical integration.
Dr-LucienSanchez
Homework Statement
The conductivity of a non-homogeneous rod (length l, cross sectional area A) varies linearly from the value ##g_a## at the end to the value ##g_b## at the end b; that is, at any point on the cross section of the rod lying at the distance x from a we have g (x) (below).

Divide the rod into discs of thickness dx, (i) compute the resistance of a typical disc, (ii) and show by integration that the total resistance of the rod is R (below)
Relevant Equations
Conductance at point x: (*) g(x) = g_a + (( g_b-g_a ) x ) / l
Total Resistance: (**) R = ( l/A ) * ( 1 / (g_b-g_a) ) * ln( g_b/g_a )

Between ends a and b of a conducting rod of length l and area A:
Average conductivity for non-homogeneous cylindrical conductors: (***) g_ave = (l / A)*G(ab)
Resistivity is the reciprocal of the conductivity i.e: (****) R(ab) = (l/gA), where g is the electric conductivity
(i) Dividing the rod into thicknesses of dx we get discs of area A with lengths=dx so using (****) we have the resistance of a typical disc (between point x' and x'+dx) as:

(1) ##R(x'dx)=\frac{dx}{g(x)A}##

(ii) Using (1) and (*) and the integrating from a to b of the entire rod we get:

##R(ab)=\int_{g_a}^{g_b}\frac{dx}{g_a+\frac{(g_b-g_a)x}{l}A}=\frac{l}{A}\int_{g_a}^{g_b}\frac{dx}{g_a l + (g_b-g_a)x}=\frac{l}{(g_b-g_a)A}ln(g_al+(g_b-g_a))##

Now my solution has a pesky ##g_al## which if it was not there then the total resistance would be the same as (**). However it is there which is why i need help.

I suspect that I have set up the problem incorrectly which leads me to integrate the wrong equation or I am missing something else.

Can anyone assist me to figure out where I have tripped up?
FYI this problem is from "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" by Vladimir Rojansky page 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
What do you not understand about the question?

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
What do you not understand about the question?
I guess I am unsure why I have the ##g_al## in the log of my final answer when it is not in (**). Because it is there leads me to think that I have not set up the integral correctly by the way I compute the resistance of a typical disc in (i).
So I guess I don't understand how to set up the resistance of a typical disc so that I can form and solve the integral for the total resistance.

What happens if you instead interpolate by; Gx = ( ( Ga * ( L - x ) + x * Gb ) / L )
then r = integral from x=0 to L; 1 / ( A * Gx ) .dx

It appears you are integrating from Ga to Gb ? rather than x=0 to Length.

Conductance varies linearly so we define a straight line y = m*x+c
At x=0 we have Gx=Ga, at x=L we have Gx=Gb. Then m = (Gb-Ga)/L and c = Ga.
Table of integrals gives; Integral dx/(m*x+c) = (1/m)* Log(m*x+c)
We integrate from x=0 to x=L.
When x=L we have; (1/m)*Log(m*L+c)
When x=0 we have; (1/m)*Log(c)
Difference is; (1/m)* (Log(m*L+c) - Log(c))
But 1/m = L/(Gb-Ga); also (m*L+c) = ((Gb-Ga)/L)*L+Ga = Gb; and c = Ga.
So; L/(Gb-Ga) * (Log(Gb) - Log(Ga)) = (L/(Gb-Ga))*Log(Gb/Ga)
Don't forget to include the constant rod area A;
R = L / ( A * ( Gb - Ga ) ) * Log( Gb / Ga )
which agrees with numerical integration.

Likes Dr-LucienSanchez
Baluncore said:
It appears you are integrating from Ga to Gb ? rather than x=0 to Length.

looks like I derped out on my limits, thanks for spotting that.

Baluncore said:
Conductance varies linearly so we define a straight line y = m*x+c
At x=0 we have Gx=Ga, at x=L we have Gx=Gb. Then m = (Gb-Ga)/L and c = Ga.
Table of integrals gives; Integral dx/(m*x+c) = (1/m)* Log(m*x+c)
We integrate from x=0 to x=L.
When x=L we have; (1/m)*Log(m*L+c)
When x=0 we have; (1/m)*Log(c)
Difference is; (1/m)* (Log(m*L+c) - Log(c))
But 1/m = L/(Gb-Ga); also (m*L+c) = ((Gb-Ga)/L)*L+Ga = Gb; and c = Ga.
So; L/(Gb-Ga) * (Log(Gb) - Log(Ga)) = (L/(Gb-Ga))*Log(Gb/Ga)
Don't forget to include the constant rod area A;
R = L / ( A * ( Gb - Ga ) ) * Log( Gb / Ga )
which agrees with numerical integration.

Thanks for explaining this it helped me a lot 😃

1. What is the conductivity equation?

The conductivity equation is a mathematical formula that relates the conductivity of a material to its resistivity, length, and cross-sectional area. It is commonly represented as σ = 1/ρ, where σ is the conductivity, ρ is the resistivity, and the units are typically in siemens per meter (S/m).

2. How does integration calculate total resistance?

Integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve. In the context of calculating total resistance, integration is used to find the sum of all the small resistance values along the length of a conductor. By integrating the conductivity equation, the total resistance of a conductor can be determined.

3. What is the significance of using integration to calculate resistance?

Integration allows for a more accurate calculation of total resistance compared to simply summing the individual resistance values. This is because the resistance along a conductor is not constant and varies with the length of the conductor. Integration takes into account this variation and provides a more precise result.

4. What units are used for resistance in integration using the conductivity equation?

The units for resistance in integration using the conductivity equation are ohms (Ω). This is because resistance is directly related to the conductivity, which has units of S/m, and the length and cross-sectional area of the conductor, which have units of meters (m).

5. Are there any limitations to using integration for calculating total resistance?

Integration can only be used to calculate total resistance for materials that have a constant conductivity along the entire length of the conductor. If the conductivity varies significantly, a more complex mathematical approach may be necessary. Additionally, integration is only applicable for conductors with uniform cross-sectional area and length.