Calculate thermal resistance of heatsink required

In summary, the LT1083 adjustable voltage regulator can be varied between 12v and 18v. It requires a heat sink to dissipate the extra heat generated.
pbonesteak

Homework Statement

Q4) Calculate the thermal resistance of the heat sink required for the regulator of Q3 above given the information below [from the datasheet] and the data in the table.

Q3 FIGURE 2 shows an adjustable voltage regulator using the LT1083*. The LT1083 develops a 1.25V reference voltage between the output and the adjust terminal. By placing a resistor R1 between these two terminals, a constant current is caused to flow through R1 and down through R2 to set the overall output voltage. If VIN = 18 V, determine the range over which the output voltage can be varied.

Homework Equations

My formula
PD=Vin-Vout*Iout
θ Jct = T(jmax) - TA / PD

The Attempt at a Solution

PDmax = 18V+10% - 15V*1A = 4.8W
Control Section θ Jct = 125-75/4.8 = 10.4 °C/W
Power section θ Jct = 150-75/4.8 = 15.6 °C/W

The data sheet given is here

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiGuOeymZ3KAhUC_SwKHR6TCCAQFggdMAA&url=http://www.linear.com/docs/3741&usg=AFQjCNE8-DSdhVtLg7527HpB0xFgb3dF6g

This is as far as I get. Theres so much info on the LT1083 datasheet I just need steering in a direction.
Any suggesgions much appreciated

Regards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
Just noticed the max 'Iout' is actually 7.5A not 1A

There's a discussion of Thermal Considerations in the APPLICATIONS INFORMATION section of the datasheet. It includes a calculated example that may help your understanding.

You'll need to pin down your operating conditions a bit better than just assuming a maximum input voltage and maximum device current; The device would not survive under such conditions. An actual maximum load current would be good. Look for the maximum power dissipation curve. It will tell you what the maximum case temperature can be for a given power dissipation.

So if i use a Vin as 18v use the adjustable resistor and set an output of 12v and am drawing 5amps load on a device that is connected on the output.

Using the formula Pd=Vin-Vout*Iout
Pd = 18v-12v*5=30W

For the control calculation: JuncT = T(amb)+Pd(θHsink+θJct-cas+θcas-Hsink)
I would get 75°+30W(1°C/W+0.6°C/W+0.2°C/W) = 105*1.8
JuncT=189° > 125° I would have 64°C that would need a heat sink to dissipate

I could do the same for the Power side

Okay so here is what I have so far...

Control:
[itex]ΔT=Tjmax-Ta=125-75=50°C[/itex]
[itex]PD=Ilm(Vin-Vout)=1(18-15)=3W[/itex]
[itex]θ=\frac{ΔT}{PD}=\frac{50}{3}=16.667°C/W[/itex]
This value is well above the value of 1.6°C/W stated on the datasheet so it will require a heat sink.
[itex]θhs=θ-θjc-θchs=16.667-0.6-0.2=15.867°C/W[/itex]

I have done the same for the power section, but I feel I'm not on the right track due the thermal resistance values for the heat sinks being so drastically high. Especially if I'm right in thinking they then have to be added together? The question gives the maximum load current as 1A is this the correct value to use in the PD calculation? I've also seen the mention of pinning down operating conditions in a previous post, but should a heatsink not be able to handle the maximum values of the regulator?

this is what i have.

PD= (Vin-Vout) x (Iout) = (18 - 15) x 1 = 3w

TJ = TA + PD (θHS + θCHS + θJC)
TJ= 75 + 3 (θHS + 0.2 + 0.6)

to work out the heat sink value

PD = ΔT/(θJC + θHS) =
3 = 50/(0.6 + θHS) =
θHS = 50/(0.6 + 3) = 13.89 C/W

TJ= 75 + 3(13.89 + 0.2 + 0.6) = 119.07°C <125°C
this shows that the calculated Tj is within the range of the maximum junc temperature.

am i on the right track here.

1. How do I calculate the thermal resistance of a heatsink?

To calculate the thermal resistance of a heatsink, you need to know the power dissipated by the component it is cooling, the ambient temperature, and the maximum allowable temperature of the component. You can then use the formula: Thermal Resistance = (Maximum Temperature - Ambient Temperature) / Power Dissipated. This will give you the thermal resistance in units of degrees Celsius per watt (°C/W).

2. What factors affect the thermal resistance of a heatsink?

The thermal resistance of a heatsink is affected by its material, size, shape, and surface area. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as copper or aluminum, will have lower thermal resistance. Larger heatsinks with more surface area will also have lower thermal resistance.

3. How do I choose the right heatsink for my application?

To choose the right heatsink, you need to consider the power dissipated by the component, the ambient temperature, and the maximum allowable temperature of the component. You can then calculate the required thermal resistance and compare it to the thermal resistance of different heatsink options to find one that meets your needs.

4. Can I use multiple heatsinks to reduce thermal resistance?

Yes, you can use multiple heatsinks in parallel to reduce the overall thermal resistance. This is especially useful for applications with high power dissipation or limited space for a single large heatsink. However, it is important to ensure that each heatsink is properly attached and that there is adequate airflow between them.

5. How do I improve the thermal resistance of a heatsink?

To improve the thermal resistance of a heatsink, you can increase its surface area by adding fins or using a larger heatsink. You can also use a material with higher thermal conductivity or improve the airflow around the heatsink. Additionally, using a thermal interface material, such as thermal paste, between the component and the heatsink can help improve heat transfer and reduce thermal resistance.