Calculate time passed on a ship clock seen by Earth observers

In summary: The ship's clock will measure a different amount of time than the Earth's clock, because the ship is moving. The ship's clock will measure proper time, which is the time measured by the clock aboard the ship, but it will also measure moving time, which is the time measured by the clock on Earth.
potatoleg
Homework Statement
A spaceship is on its way to Alpha Centauri, 4.2 light years from Earth, at 0.6 c. The time observed by observers on Earth is 7 years. What time passes on the ship clock as observed by Earth observers during the trip?
Relevant Equations
Tv = γTo
In this case, γ = 1/√(1-v^2/c^2) = √(1-0.6^2) = 0.8

However, I'm not sure if time observed by Earth is proper time or moving time. The definition of proper time in my textbook states that it is 'the time measured in a frame of reference where the events occur at the same points in space. I'm not sure which one applies here

Physics news on Phys.org
Proper time belongs to a body. It is read of clock attached to the body. Earth proper time 7 yrs belongs to the Earth whose frame of reference is inertial frame of reference(IFR). The rocket proper time 0.8 yrs belongs to the rocket whose frame of reference is not ( at least a single ) IFR.

Special relativity is physics in IFR, so it tells the Earth, IFR, inhabitants have privilege to judge the "moving" rocket time less.

Last edited:
potatoleg said:
my textbook

Which textbook?

potatoleg said:
What time passes on the ship clock as observed by Earth observers during the trip?

There is no need for the qualifier that I crossed out in the above quote. The time elapsed on the ship's clock between two given events--departure from Earth and arrival at Alpha Centauri--is an invariant, and will be the same for all observers.

anuttarasammyak said:
The rocket proper time 0.8 yrs belong to the rocket whose frame of reference is not ( at least a single ) IFR.

I don't see that in this scenario. This is not a twin paradox scenario, as far as I can tell; the ship only goes one way, Earth to Alpha Centauri, and it is always moving at the same speed relative to Earth. So it is always at rest in an inertial frame--that frame is just not the same as the frame in which Earth and Alpha Centauri are at rest.

anuttarasammyak said:
Special relativity is physics in IFR

This is not correct. It is perfectly possible to do SR in non-inertial frames, as long as spacetime is flat (i.e., as long as there are no gravitating masses present, or we idealize them away--in this scenario, "the Earth" is idealized as just a point in space and its gravity is ignored). It so happens that no non-inertial frames are required in this scenario, but that is not a general requirement for SR.

PeterDonis said:
Which textbook?
An Australian high school textbook

Jacaranda Physics 12

Likes PeroK
potatoleg said:
The definition of proper time in my textbook states that it is 'the time measured in a frame of reference where the events occur at the same points in space.
That's correct, but it's simpler to say that proper time is what a clock measures (a clock measures its own proper time).

If we go back to your problem:

What can you say about the ship clock with respect to the Earth's reference frame?

1. How does a ship clock measure time?

A ship clock, also known as a marine chronometer, measures time using a highly accurate mechanism that is designed to keep time even in harsh conditions at sea. This mechanism typically involves a balance wheel, escapement, and mainspring, and is often regulated by a pendulum or quartz crystal.

2. How is time on a ship clock different from time on a regular clock?

Time on a ship clock is measured in nautical time, which is divided into 24 hours instead of the 12 hours used in standard time. Additionally, nautical time does not use AM and PM designations, but instead uses the terms "ante meridiem" (AM) and "post meridiem" (PM) to indicate before or after noon.

3. How is time passed on a ship clock seen by Earth observers?

Time passed on a ship clock is seen by Earth observers in the same way as time on a regular clock. However, due to the difference in time zones, the time shown on a ship clock may be different from the local time at the location of the observer.

4. How is time on a ship clock affected by the ship's movement?

Time on a ship clock is not affected by the ship's movement, as long as the clock is properly regulated and maintained. This is because the clock's mechanism is designed to keep time accurately regardless of external factors such as movement or temperature changes.

5. Can a ship clock be used to determine the ship's location?

No, a ship clock cannot be used to determine the ship's location. However, it can be used in conjunction with other navigational tools, such as a sextant, to determine the ship's longitude by comparing the time on the ship clock to the local time at the ship's location.