Calculate velocity in fluid mechanics question

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of water through a vertical pipe with a manometer attached. The manometer fluid (mercury) is displaced by 10cm and friction is ignored. The conversation then goes on to ask for an expression for the pressure at point (1a) in terms of the pressure and velocity at point (1), and to calculate the velocity V of the water in the pipe. The attempted solution involves the mechanical energy balance equation and the assumption that V2 (or V1a) is equal to 0 while V1 = V. However, this is not done correctly because the flow in the pipe is stagnated at the entrance to the tube, resulting in ##P_{1A}=P_
Junkwisch

Homework Statement

Water is flowing upwards through a vertical pipe. When a manometer is attached to the
pipe in the manner shown in the diagram, the manometer fluid (mercury) is displaced by 10
cm as illustrated.
Ignore friction in the pipe.

(i) Express the pressure at point (1a) in terms of pressure and velocity at point (1)

(ii) Calculate the velocity V of the water in the pipe.

Homework Equations

The Mechanical energy balance equation: (P2-P1)/p + 0.5*(V2^2-V1^2)+g(Z2-Z1) = 0 (no pump and friction is ignored)
Density of water 1000 kg m-3
Specific gravity of mercury 13.6
Gravitational acceleration 9.81 m s-2

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I used the mechanical energy balance equation where P2=P1a and P1=P1, since water moved upward and displaced the mercury by 10cm, I assume that V2(orV1a in this case) is equal to 0 while V1 = V, the change in height is 0.1m (the change in height between point 1 and 1a is 0)

(P1a - P1)/p -0.5*V1^2 +0.981 = 0
P1=P1a - 0.5*V1^2 + 0.981

ii) in static fluid P1 and P1a would have the same amount of pressure

By rearranging this equation, V= (2*((P1a - P1)/p + 0.981))^(1/2)

The problem I have though is how do I calculate the pressure, since in static fluid, P1a will be equal to P1, but this is not static.

*Diagram attached

Attachments

• Q1.png
    Q1.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 703
Physics news on Phys.org
Junkwisch said:

Homework Statement

Water is flowing upwards through a vertical pipe. When a manometer is attached to the
pipe in the manner shown in the diagram, the manometer fluid (mercury) is displaced by 10
cm as illustrated.
Ignore friction in the pipe.

(i) Express the pressure at point (1a) in terms of pressure and velocity at point (1)

(ii) Calculate the velocity V of the water in the pipe.

Homework Equations

The Mechanical energy balance equation: (P2-P1)/p + 0.5*(V2^2-V1^2)+g(Z2-Z1) = 0 (no pump and friction is ignored)
Density of water 1000 kg m-3
Specific gravity of mercury 13.6
Gravitational acceleration 9.81 m s-2

The Attempt at a Solution

i) I used the mechanical energy balance equation where P2=P1a and P1=P1, since water moved upward and displaced the mercury by 10cm, I assume that V2(orV1a in this case) is equal to 0 while V1 = V, the change in height is 0.1m (the change in height between point 1 and 1a is 0)

(P1a - P1)/p -0.5*V1^2 +0.981 = 0
P1=P1a - 0.5*V1^2 + 0.981

This is not done correctly. If the fluid were not flowing, the pressure at point 1a would equal the pressure at point 1. However, the flow in the pipe is stagnated at the entrance to the tube. So ##P_{1A}=P_1+\frac{1}{2}\rho V_1^2##.

Chet

1. What is velocity in fluid mechanics?

Velocity in fluid mechanics refers to the rate at which a fluid is moving in a particular direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How do you calculate velocity in fluid mechanics?

Velocity in fluid mechanics can be calculated by dividing the volume flow rate of the fluid by the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel through which it is flowing. This can be represented by the equation v = Q/A, where v is velocity, Q is volume flow rate, and A is cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a fluid?

The velocity of a fluid can be affected by a variety of factors, including the pressure difference driving the flow, the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the pipe or channel, and any obstructions or changes in direction along the flow path.

4. How does velocity impact the behavior of a fluid?

The velocity of a fluid can impact its behavior in several ways. For example, a faster velocity can result in a higher pressure drop and increased turbulence, while a slower velocity may lead to laminar flow. Velocity can also affect the rate of mass transfer and mixing within a fluid.

5. What are some common units for measuring velocity in fluid mechanics?

Velocity in fluid mechanics is typically measured in meters per second (m/s), but other common units include feet per second (ft/s), centimeters per second (cm/s), and miles per hour (mph). In some cases, velocity may also be expressed in terms of volumetric flow rate, such as cubic meters per second (m3/s).