Calculate Volume Flow & Distance of Sprinkler Holes | DIY Garden Project

• Thread starter Pau Hernandez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculations
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a sprinkler for a garden using a simple tube with holes drilled in it. The speaker is seeking information on how to calculate the volume flow through each hole and how far the water will shoot out. They mention that the first hole will receive more water and the water ray will be weaker with each subsequent hole. The conversation also refers to a website with agricultural irrigation calculators for guidance.
Pau Hernandez
Hello,

I do want to make a small sprinkler for my garden. As you can see it is a simple tube with one end sealed and the other end will be attached to the water hose. Now what I want to do is drill a couple holes to the sides of the tube and get a sprinkler like that. I would like to know how to calculate the volume flow through each hole and how far the water ray will shoot out of the tube. My logic says is that the first hole will get most of the water and with each hole the water ray will be weaker.

Here is a small drawing:
fJoYEpC.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pau Hernandez said:
My logic says is that the first hole will get most of the water and with each hole the water ray will be weaker.
Not necessarily so that the last hole is a dribble.
Otherwise boom sprayers would not function as demanded.

Agrifac_Sprayer_thumb.gif

What is the formula for calculating volume flow?

The formula for calculating volume flow is Q = A x V, where Q represents the volume flow rate, A represents the cross-sectional area of the sprinkler hole, and V represents the velocity of the water flowing through the hole.

How do I measure the distance between sprinkler holes?

To measure the distance between sprinkler holes, you can use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance between the center of one hole to the center of the next hole. Make sure to measure in a straight line for accurate results.

What units should I use for volume flow and distance?

The units used for volume flow will depend on the units used for the cross-sectional area and velocity. Some common units for volume flow include cubic meters per second, liters per minute, or gallons per hour. For distance, you can use units such as meters, feet, or inches.

How can I calculate the volume flow and distance for multiple sprinkler holes?

To calculate the overall volume flow and distance for multiple sprinkler holes, you can add the individual values together. For example, if you have 5 sprinkler holes with a volume flow rate of 2 liters per minute each, the total volume flow rate would be 10 liters per minute. Similarly, if the distance between each hole is 1 meter, the total distance would be 5 meters.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of these calculations?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of these calculations. These include variations in the size or shape of the sprinkler holes, changes in water pressure, and external factors such as wind or obstructions that may affect the velocity of the water flow. It is important to regularly check and adjust your calculations to ensure accurate results.