Calculate Volume of Enclosed Region with Cylindrical Coordinates

The region enclosed between the two surfaces can be represented as a paraboloid and a plane intersecting, with the intersection projected down to form a circle in the xy-plane. To find the volume, we can use cylindrical coordinates and the formula r= 2cos θ. In summary, the volume of the region can be found by integrating with the limits -π/2 ≤ θ ≤ π/2, 0 ≤ r ≤ 2cos(θ), and r^2 ≤ z ≤ 2rcos(θ) with the jacobian being r.
Imo
"Find the volume of the region enclosed between the survaces [tex]z=x^2 + y^2 [/tex] and [tex]z=2x[/tex]"

I figured that the simplest way of doing this was to switch to a cylindrical co-ordinate system. Can someone check that the limits of integration are then
[tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq \theta \leq\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
[tex]0\leq\ r \leq 2\cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]r^2\leq\ z \leq 2 r \cos(\theta) [/tex]
(and the jacobian being r)

Thanks greatfully

Physics news on Phys.org
z= 2x is a plane and forms the top of the figure. You are correct that you should use cylindrical coordinates. But z= x2+ y2 is a paraboloid. it's interesection with z= 2x is z= 2x= x2[/wsup]+ y2 or x2- 2x+ 1 + y2= (x-1)2+ y2 = 1 which, projected down into the xy-plane is the circle with center (1,0) and radius 1. In cylindrical coordinates, x2+ y2= 2x is r2= 2rcos θ or
r= 2 cos &theta. THAT is the fomula you need.

Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), is that not what I have?

Imo said:
Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), is that not what I have?

Yes, I believe your limits of integration are correct.

1. How do you calculate the volume of an enclosed region using cylindrical coordinates?

To calculate the volume of an enclosed region using cylindrical coordinates, you can use the formula V = ∫∫∫ρ dρ dϕ dz, where ρ represents the distance from the origin to the point, ϕ represents the angle in the x-y plane, and z represents the height. This formula can be used for both solid and hollow regions.

2. What is the difference between cylindrical and cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates use a distance from the origin, an angle in the x-y plane, and a height, while cartesian coordinates use three distances (x, y, and z) from the origin. Cylindrical coordinates are often used for circular or cylindrical shapes, while cartesian coordinates are used for rectangular or cuboid shapes.

3. Can the volume of an enclosed region be negative?

No, the volume of an enclosed region cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the space occupied by an object, and it is always a positive value. If a calculation results in a negative volume, it is likely due to a mistake in the input values or the calculation process.

4. Is it possible to use cylindrical coordinates for irregularly-shaped regions?

Yes, cylindrical coordinates can be used for irregularly-shaped regions. However, the boundaries of the region must be defined in terms of the cylindrical coordinates (ρ, ϕ, and z), and the integration limits must also be specified accordingly in the volume calculation formula.

5. Can the volume of an enclosed region be calculated using other coordinate systems?

Yes, the volume of an enclosed region can also be calculated using other coordinate systems such as spherical coordinates. The formula and integration limits may vary depending on the coordinate system used, but the concept remains the same - to integrate the region's volume over its boundaries in the given coordinate system.