Calculate wavelength in pm associated with electron traveling 60% of the speed of lig

In summary, to calculate the wavelength of an electron traveling at 60% of the speed of light, you can use the equation wavelength = h / (mv), where h is a known value and m is the mass of the electron. The mass of electrons is always the same, but may seem different due to different units or significant figures. To account for the increase in mass at high velocities, you can use the concepts of invariant mass and relativistic mass.
Knight226

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavelength, in picometers, associated with an electron traveling 60.0% of the speed of light.

Homework Equations

Wavelength = h / (mv)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the h value.
The v value I believe it is 60.0% of 3.00 x 10^8
But what is the m value? If the m value isn't given, then the equation can't be solved, can it?
Is there a specific number for the m value?

From the examples I have seem, the m for electrons are always different.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

On the contrary, I am quite confident that the masses of electrons are always the same. It is the energy of electrons that changes.

The only time in which electrons may seem to have different masses in different questions are when an unfamiliar unit of measurement is used, or a different amount of significant figures is used. Nonetheless, the values should be relatively the same.

What is the equation for mass increase as a function of velocity? How much does the mass increase at 0.6c?

windwitch said:
On the contrary, I am quite confident that the masses of electrons are always the same.

Google invariant mass and relativistic mass.

--
methods

Related to Calculate wavelength in pm associated with electron traveling 60% of the speed of lig

1. What is the formula for calculating wavelength in pm associated with an electron traveling at 60% of the speed of light?

The formula for calculating wavelength in pm associated with an electron traveling at 60% of the speed of light is:
λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity of the electron.

2. What is the value of Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted by h, is a fundamental physical constant and its value is approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds (J·s).

3. How is the speed of light related to the speed of an electron?

The speed of light, denoted by c, is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). The speed of an electron, on the other hand, can vary depending on its energy and the medium it is traveling through. However, it can never exceed the speed of light.

4. What is the unit for wavelength in pm?

The unit for wavelength in pm is picometers (pm), which is equal to 10^-12 meters (m).

5. Can the wavelength of an electron change?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron can change depending on its energy and velocity. According to the de Broglie wavelength equation, the wavelength of an electron is inversely proportional to its momentum. Therefore, when the electron's velocity changes, its momentum and wavelength will also change.