Calculating Acceleration and Distance in Kinematic Equations

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question on finding the acceleration and distance a train travels in a given time. The student is having trouble solving for the distance using the equation x= 1/2(final vel + initial vel)t and x= final vel(time) + 1/2at squared. With the help of others, the student realizes they should be using the equation x= initial vel*time + 1/2at squared and the initial velocity should be converted to meters per second. After making these corrections, the student is still having trouble getting the correct answer and seeks clarification.
toddler
1Dim. Physics question

I'm in my 3rd weeks of physics, so I'm dealing with Kinematic Equations.

My question is: A train accelerates from an initial velocity of 25.0 km/hr to a final vel. of 65.0km/h in 8.5 seconds..Find its acceleration and the distance the train travels during this time.

for acceleration, I did A = Final Vel - Initial Vel / time and when put in m/s , it comes out to 1.31 meters per second squared...i checked the answered in the back of the book..it checks out..ok, i got that part...

now... for distance, I used X = 1/2(final vel + initial Vel)t no matter how many times I did it, my answer doesn't match up with the books correct answer of 106m

i also thought i might have used the wrong equation so i tried using:

X=Final Vel(time) + 1/2at squared

still doesn't come out right

what am i doing wrong? it's really frustrating, ...I need to get this and do real well because its part of my pre-med requirement, so any help would be appreciated..thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
X=Final Vel(time) + 1/2at squared
you didn't copy this equation correctly

sorry, I meant

x= initial vel*time +1/2at squared

ok, and you used this equation and it did not work?
can you write out the exact equation (with the numbers you used) to solve for the second part?

x= initial velocity(time) + 1/2at squared

x = 25(8.5) + 1/2(1.31)(8.5 squared)
x= 212.5 + .655(8.5squared)
x= 212.5 + 72.91
x= 285.41

yet, x is supposed to be 106 in the book

You should be using 25000m/3600s for your initial velocity, not 25. That'll get you 106. :)

toddler said:
sorry, I meant

x= initial vel*time +1/2at squared

x = initial position + initial vel*time + 1/2at squared. Irrelevant in this problem, but somewhere else it just may not be. :smile:

ahhh thank you everyone, really appreciate it

damn...i used Oksanav's advice and here's where I am stuck

x= 1/2 (25,000m/3,600s + 65,000m/3,600s)(8.5s)

x= 1/2 (90,000m/7,200s) (8.5s)

now here's where I am gettin stuck...im multiplying (90,000m/7,200s) by (8.5s) and getting 106.25 and then taking half of that because of the '1/2' at the beginning of the equation...the answer in the book is 106 though..so what did i do wrong

x= 1/2 (106.25) = 53.125??

Hello toddler,

you are not applying the correct equation in your last post.

You've already found out in post #5 that:

[tex]x=v_{initial}t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

with a being

[tex]a=\frac{(v_{final}-v_{initial})}{t}[/tex]

Regards,

nazzard

Related to Calculating Acceleration and Distance in Kinematic Equations

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions with each other and with the laws of nature. It seeks to understand how the universe works at a fundamental level.

What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the study of mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, which were developed before the 20th century. Modern physics, on the other hand, refers to the study of quantum mechanics, relativity, and other more recent theories that have been developed to explain the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level.

What are the basic laws of physics?

The basic laws of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the law of conservation of momentum. These laws govern the behavior of matter and energy in our everyday world and are the building blocks for more complex physical theories.

What is the scientific method and how is it used in physics?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting experiments and gathering evidence to test hypotheses and theories. In physics, the scientific method is used to make observations, form hypotheses, conduct experiments, and analyze data to better understand the natural world.

What are the different branches of physics?

The main branches of physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Within these branches, there are also sub-fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and nuclear physics, among others.