Calculating acceleration from electric motor

In summary, Vinrow is trying to approximate the acceleration of various motors to help make a decision on which to buy. He has written software to produce performance graphs, but his results seem a bit off. He wants to check his calculations. Drag force does not cause a torque about the motor shaft as your equation implies. The drag force had nothing to do with the gear ratio. Vinrow is trying to use torque curve data from the motor manufacturer to estimate frictional losses. Jack has an interesting idea for measuring drag coefficient and area. CWatters does not need amazing precision, just enough to evaluate the motors Vinrow is looking at.
vinrow
I am in the process of designing an electric motorcycle, and would like to approximate the acceleration from various motors to inform my decision. I have written simple software to produce performance graphs, but my results seem a bit off - so i'd like to check my calculations.

Here is the basic setup:
sketch.png

To simplify things I first calculated the effective radius of the wheel based on the gearing (as if driving the wheel directly from the motor):
r = Wheel radius / (Gear2/Gear1) * (RearSproket/FrontSproket)

Then used: Motor torque (T) = Fd and F=ma to get a = T/mr.

From this I calculate velocity at time intervals using: v = u+at and distance: S=ut + 0.5at^2

Now the bit where I think I'm going wrong (if not already) - Incorporating drag.
Using the drag equation: https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/144ce01ab76e5e8a0662dbf0f5b922abfa726e9c I am using a coefficient of 0.5, and area of 0.4m^2.
When calculating the torque at the rear wheel, I'm doing (Motor torque * 0.9) - (Drag force * r). The 0.9 is just to add a bit of mechanical loss. But I can't work out if I'm applying the drag correcly. Any input welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Drag force does not cause a torque about the motor shaft as your equation implies. The drag force had nothing to do with the gear ratio.

To find the net force on the bike the drag force should be subtracted from the force the wheel applies to the road.

You will also need to account for the torque curve of the motor, electric motors generally produce max torque at zero rpm and zero torque at max rpm.

Likes vinrow
billy_joule said:
Drag force does not cause a torque about the motor shaft as your equation implies. The drag force had nothing to do with the gear ratio.

Instead of doing ##ma = \frac{T}{r} - F_d##, he seems to do ##mar = T - F_d r##, which gives the same results.

@vinrow, you should check this acceleration simulator and the theory behind with it.

Likes vinrow and billy_joule
jack action said:
Instead of doing ##ma = \frac{T}{r} - F_d##, he seems to do ##mar = T - F_d r##, which gives the same results.
Ah yes, I see.

One option might be to tow an un powered bike behind a car. Measure the tension in the tow rope and you can measure the power required at various speeds or during acceleration etc. Use a long rope or other methods to avoid slipstream effects.

Won't account for all losses (eg those in the motor) but even so should give good data.

Likes vinrow
Thanks for the input everyone, so the calculations seem correct. @billy_joule yes I am using torque curve data obtained from the manufacturer of the motor. The main reason for the simulation is because they have two similar motors and I'm not sure which would be best.
@jack action Thanks for the link. After looking at it I think my inaccuracies are due to not having enough frictional losses, and also not taking into consideration things like rotational inertia.
@CWatters Interesting idea but probably overkill for what I need. My drag coefficient and area are taken from wind tunnel data of the bike I would use - so should be at least in the ball park. I don't need amazing precision, just enough to evaluate the motors I'm looking at.

What is acceleration and why is it important when calculating electric motor performance?

Acceleration is the rate of change in an object's velocity over time. In the context of electric motors, it refers to how quickly the motor can increase its rotational speed. It is an important factor to consider because it directly affects the motor's ability to perform work and power applications.

How do you calculate acceleration from an electric motor?

To calculate acceleration from an electric motor, you will need to know the motor's torque and the moment of inertia of the system it is powering. The equation for acceleration is acceleration = torque/mass x radius, where torque is measured in Nm, mass in kg, and radius in meters.

What are some common units of measurement for acceleration in electric motors?

Some common units of measurement for acceleration in electric motors include meters per second squared (m/s^2), revolutions per minute squared (rpm/s^2), and g-forces (g).

Can acceleration be controlled or adjusted in an electric motor?

Yes, acceleration can be controlled or adjusted in an electric motor by changing the voltage or current supplied to the motor. The higher the voltage or current, the faster the motor will accelerate.

How does the weight of the object being powered affect the acceleration of an electric motor?

The weight of the object being powered can affect the acceleration of an electric motor because it directly impacts the motor's torque and the moment of inertia of the system. Heavier objects will require more torque to accelerate, resulting in a slower acceleration rate.