Calculating Average Distance from Origin to Curve Integral

In summary, to find the average distance from the origin point x=y=0 to the points of the curve using curve integral, we need to first find the distance equation at any value of t, integrate it from 0 to pi, and divide by the interval. The equation for distance is given by ((cos^2(2t)+6sin^2(2t))^0.5) and the average distance can be calculated by taking the integral of this equation and dividing by pi.
sibiryk
How can I find average distance from the origin point x=y=0 to
the points of the curve using curve integral.

Curve given by

x=cos(2t), y=3sin(2t), t at [0,pi]

I looked in books I have but there is no info on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
sibiryk said:
How can I find average distance from the origin point x=y=0 to
the points of the curve using curve integral.
Curve given by
x=cos(2t), y=3sin(2t), t at [0,pi]
I looked in books I have but there is no info on this.
Find an equation that gives the distance at any value of t. Then integrate it and divide by the interval (def. of average value).

I need to find it using curve integral

apmcavoy said:
Find an equation that gives the distance at any value of t. Then integrate it and divide by the interval (def. of average value).

Ok. I integrated equation that give the distance.

I got

Integral ((cos^2(2t)+6sin^2(2t))^0.5)*dt integral from 0 to pi

Did I get it right?

sibiryk said:
I got
Did I get it right?

Close. You need to be more careful with your derivatives and algebra.

sibiryk said:
I got
Did I get it right?
[tex]3^2\neq 6[/tex]

For this case:

[tex]\text{Average}=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f\left(x\right)\,dx[/tex]

Now it's up to you to find f(x).

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Average Distance from Origin to Curve Integral

1. What is the purpose of calculating the average distance from origin to curve integral?

The average distance from origin to curve integral is used to determine the average distance of a point on a curve from the origin. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating the average displacement of a particle over a period of time.

2. How is the average distance from origin to curve integral calculated?

The average distance from origin to curve integral is calculated by taking the integral of the distance function from the origin to the curve, divided by the length of the curve. This is represented by the formula: A = ∫√(1 + [f'(x)]^2)dx / ∫1dx, where f(x) is the curve function.

3. Can the average distance from origin to curve integral be negative?

No, the average distance from origin to curve integral cannot be negative. This is because distance is a scalar quantity and is always positive. However, the numerical value of the integral may be negative, but it represents the signed distance from the origin to the curve.

4. What is the significance of the average distance from origin to curve integral in physics?

In physics, the average distance from origin to curve integral is used to calculate the average displacement of a particle over a period of time. This is important in understanding the motion and trajectory of objects in various physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the average distance from origin to curve integral?

One limitation of calculating the average distance from origin to curve integral is that it assumes the curve is continuous and smooth. If the curve has sharp turns or discontinuities, the calculated value may not accurately represent the average distance. Additionally, this method may not be applicable to curves in higher dimensions.