Concentration boundary layer thickness

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving blowing warm air over a stagnant water surface and investigating the scaling of air velocity with mass transfer coefficient. The speaker is looking for the relationship between concentration boundary layer thickness and air velocity but has been unable to find literature on it. Another speaker suggests looking at powerpoint slides for correlations between Reynolds number, Schmidt number, and constant powers. The concept of boundary layer thickness for momentum, concentration, and thermal layers is also discussed, with the reminder to not rely solely on powerpoint slides for information. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to study the first chapter of a book on laminar boundary layer flow for an understanding of these concepts.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I'm doing an experiment where I will be blowing warm air parallel to a stagnant water surface, and I will investigate the scaling of air velocity with mass transfer coefficient. I am trying to find some kind of scaling of the concentration boundary layer thickness with air velocity, and have been unable to find any literature that gives that scaling. Anyone know what that relationship is, or where I can find it? Thanks.
upload_2015-10-18_15-6-50.png

I should note I have found derivations of the momentum boundary layer thickness, but not the concentration. Perhaps there is some correlation between momentum and concentration boundary layer thickness?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found some powerpoint slides. It can be correlated with the Reynold's number and Schmidt number to various powers multiplied by some constant. As a follow up, I understand that the momentum, concentration, and thermal boundary layer thicknesses are not the same, but I wonder if these are real or are they just concepts used to explain the phenomena. How can one layer of air be thicker than another layer, like they are overlapping each other? Seems strange.

Maylis said:
As a follow up, I understand that the momentum, concentration, and thermal boundary layer thicknesses are not the same, but I wonder if these are real or are they just concepts used to explain the phenomena. How can one layer of air be thicker than another layer, like they are overlapping each other? Seems strange.

Suppose you have air flow over a solid object but there is no temperature difference between the air and the object. The thermal boundary layer thickness will be zero, but the momentum thickness will have some finite value. The momentum boundary layer says something about how far away from the object your velocity reaches the free-stream velocity. The thermal boundary layer says something about how far away from the object your temperature reaches the free-stream temperature. These boundary layers are usually not the same.

Please, do not depend only on powerpoint slides for such a difficult topic. There are very good books on boundary layer flows and the questions you ask are all covered by most of these books. Finding out why the Sherwood number for mass transfer looks the way it does is an advanced topic, but for the quoted questions above, you can study the first chapter on laminar boundary layer flow in any book that covers boundary layer theory

Likes gfd43tg
Maylis said:
I should note I have found derivations of the momentum boundary layer thickness, but not the concentration. Perhaps there is some correlation between momentum and concentration boundary layer thickness?

While not directly applicable to your problem, this I found gives a brief synopsis of how some of the boundary layers work.

http://nature.berkeley.edu/biometlab/espm129/notes/Lecture%2024%20Leaf%20Boundary%20Layer%20Resistances%20and%20Mass%20and%20Momentum%20Exchange%20notes.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gfd43tg

1. What is concentration boundary layer thickness?

Concentration boundary layer thickness is a term used in fluid dynamics that refers to the distance from a surface where the concentration of a substance in a fluid reaches a certain percentage of the bulk concentration. It is typically measured in meters or centimeters.

2. How is concentration boundary layer thickness calculated?

The concentration boundary layer thickness can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the fluid flow velocity, diffusion coefficient, and the initial and bulk concentrations of the substance. It can also be experimentally determined through laboratory tests.

3. What factors can affect concentration boundary layer thickness?

Concentration boundary layer thickness can be affected by various factors such as the properties of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid flow, and the properties of the surface. Other factors that can influence it include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the fluid.

4. Why is concentration boundary layer thickness important?

Concentration boundary layer thickness is important in understanding how substances move and mix in a fluid. It is also crucial in various industrial processes, such as chemical reactions and mass transfer, as it affects the efficiency and effectiveness of these processes.

5. How can concentration boundary layer thickness be controlled?

The thickness of the concentration boundary layer can be controlled by altering the properties of the fluid, changing the velocity of the fluid flow, or modifying the surface properties. In some cases, adding chemicals or using different equipment can also help control the concentration boundary layer thickness.