Calculating braking force for a disc

In summary: Sure, here you go:In summary, the user wants to power off a turntable and apply brakes to stop it, but does not know how to make the motor into a brake.
Shady99
Hello everyone,i am new here.

I have a basic design problem that i am not confident about and require help.

I have a disc with components on it and the disc is rotating with angular speed of 35 deg/sec(0.61 rad/sec).The moment of inertia of my disc+ component assembly is 185 kgm2.

I have to select an OEM brake for the system. As far as i know, the torque required to select the brake can be found by the formula i.e. Torque=moment of inertia x angular speed,which comes out to be 112.85 Nm . Is it the correct way to solve my problem .Please help. Thankyou

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shady99 said:
Hello everyone,i am new here.

I have a basic design problem that i am not confident about and require help.

I have a disc with components on it and the disc is rotating with angular speed of 35 deg/sec(0.61 rad/sec).The moment of inertia of my disc+ component assembly is 185 kgm2.

I have to select an OEM brake for the system. As far as i know, the torque required to select the brake can be found by the formula i.e. Torque=moment of inertia x angular speed,which comes out to be 112.85 Nm . Is it the correct way to solve my problem .Please help. Thankyou

Your formula is incorrect.

T = I α

where,

T = torque, N-m
I = mass moment of inertia for the disk, kg-m2
α = angular acceleration (not angular velocity), in rad/s2

This formula calculates only the torque required to change the angular velocity of the disk. If the disk is rotating at a constant angular velocity, then the only torque input required is that to overcome friction in the bearings, for example.

IIRC, most brakes are designed according to the energy which must be dissipated in stopping whatever mechanism they are attached to.

Your rotor is turning at less than 6 RPM, based on an angular velocity of 35°/s, which seems pretty slow. It's hard to advise further without knowing what you are trying to stop with the brake.

I would recommend that you consult with a sales engineer at the particular brake manufacturer for more guidance in selecting the proper brake.

Likes Shady99
SteamKing said:
Your formula is incorrect.

T = I α

where,

T = torque, N-m
I = mass moment of inertia for the disk, kg-m2
α = angular acceleration (not angular velocity), in rad/s2

This formula calculates only the torque required to change the angular velocity of the disk. If the disk is rotating at a constant angular velocity, then the only torque input required is that to overcome friction in the bearings, for example.

IIRC, most brakes are designed according to the energy which must be dissipated in stopping whatever mechanism they are attached to.

Your rotor is turning at less than 6 RPM, based on an angular velocity of 35°/s, which seems pretty slow. It's hard to advise further without knowing what you are trying to stop with the brake.

I would recommend that you consult with a sales engineer at the particular brake manufacturer for more guidance in selecting the proper brake.
thankyou for reply...Actually my system is a turntable...my system consists of a direct drive motor that is driving a shaft connected to disc,the disc has certain modules on it...now the problem is that the direct drive doesn't have brakes, so i plan to install a brake to stop the motion once i power off the motor...the maximum system speed is 35 deg/ sec and the acceleration is 10 deg/sec2...now when the system is moving with 35deg/sec, i want to cut off the motor power and apply the brakes to stop the system...whats your take on this...please help

Use the motor for braking .

I want to de energise the motor and apply brakes to test a specific condition

What kind of motor is it? Depending on the type you can make the motor into a brake easily.

Can you replace the motor or add another one?

BoB

Motor is a direct drive servo motor...i can add a motor but its will not serve the purpose...i want to apply brakes when i de energise the motor...i mean when i cut system power off then the brakes should engage

So this is a fail-safe mechanism?

BoB

Well this is an experiment i want to perform...i want to bring the system speed to 35 deg/sec and then turn off system power off...now as i wud put those brakes tht engage on power cut off so my system will stop

Post a clear sketch of what you have with basic dimensions .

Related to Calculating braking force for a disc

What is the formula for calculating braking force for a disc?

The formula for calculating braking force for a disc is: F = μ * m * g, where F is the braking force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the disc, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the coefficient of friction for a disc?

The coefficient of friction for a disc can vary depending on the material and surface it is interacting with. For example, the coefficient of friction for a metal disc on a metal surface may be different than a rubber disc on a concrete surface. It is important to determine the specific coefficient of friction for the materials being used in order to accurately calculate braking force.

How does the mass of the disc affect the braking force?

The mass of the disc directly affects the braking force. The greater the mass of the disc, the greater the braking force needed to slow down or stop the disc. This is because a greater mass requires a greater force to overcome its inertia and change its motion.

Does the diameter of the disc impact the braking force?

Yes, the diameter of the disc can impact the braking force. A larger diameter disc will have a larger surface area, which can increase the friction between the disc and the surface it is interacting with. This can result in a greater braking force needed to slow down or stop the disc.

How can the braking force for a disc be increased?

The braking force for a disc can be increased by increasing the coefficient of friction, increasing the mass of the disc, or increasing the diameter of the disc. Additionally, using a more efficient braking system, such as a disc brake system rather than a drum brake system, can also increase the braking force.