Calculating Change in Free Energy from Rod Displacement

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the change in free energy caused by the displacement of a rod due to fluctuations. This can be done by calculating the change in potential energy and using the Work-Energy Theorem.
Gavroy
hi

i have a question concerning free energy

in the attached file you can see 3 rods.

think of them as 3 parallel forces, that attract each other by a force F.

the force is some arbitrary force of the form: F=a/r^6 where a is a real parameter

now imagine that caused by fluctuations(e.g. thermal fluctuations etc.) the rod is bent, which results in a change of the force fields, as one part of the rod approaches the right rod, while it leaves the potential of the force field of the left rod. ( this is exactly what you see in the image)

now the question is: what is the change in free energy caused by this displacement.

i actually calculated the change in free energy caused by the elasticity of the rod and now i want to include this force field.

my guess is, that it is just the work done by the rod, when it moves out of one potential and approaches the other one, but i am not sure at all.

what do you think about this?

(sorry about my english, but i do not linve in an english speaking country)

Attachments

• Stange.JPG
    Stange.JPG
    2.7 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it is possible to calculate the change in free energy caused by the displacement of the rod. To do this, you need to calculate the change in potential energy due to the change in force field. This can be done by calculating the difference in force between the left and right rods at different positions of the rod. Once you have calculated this, you can then use the Work-Energy Theorem to determine the work done on the rod, which can be related to the change in free energy.

1. What is the equation for calculating change in free energy from rod displacement?

The equation for calculating change in free energy from rod displacement is ΔG = -TΔS.

2. How is rod displacement related to change in free energy?

Rod displacement is related to change in free energy through the equation ΔG = -TΔS. As the rod displaces, it causes a change in the entropy of the system, which in turn affects the change in free energy.

3. What does the negative sign in the equation represent?

The negative sign in the equation represents the fact that the change in free energy is a spontaneous process. In other words, the system is releasing energy and becoming more stable.

4. How does temperature affect the calculation of change in free energy from rod displacement?

Temperature affects the calculation of change in free energy from rod displacement through the term -T. As the temperature increases, the change in free energy also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the system is more likely to reach a state of higher entropy.

5. What other factors can affect the calculation of change in free energy from rod displacement?

Other factors that can affect the calculation of change in free energy from rod displacement include pressure, concentration, and the presence of other molecules or ions in the system. These factors can alter the entropy of the system and thus impact the overall change in free energy.