Calculating Changes in Internal Energy for a Rising Air Parcel

Where ##C_v## is the specific heat at constant volume. Do you know what that value is for dry air?In summary, the conversation covers the topic of an air parcel rising to its equilibrium height and discusses the decrease in internal energy, the temperature of the air parcel at its equilibrium height, and the height of the parcel at equilibrium assuming a dry adiabatic lapse rate. The conversation also mentions relevant equations such as the ideal gas law and the first law of thermodynamics. The correct pressure to use for calculations is determined to be 1013.25 hPa, and the equation T = T0 - ΓZ is suggested for finding the height of the parcel at equilibrium. The final question asks for the best method
il27

Homework Statement

A 1 kg parcel of dry air initially at a temperature of 15 Celsius (288 K) rises from ground level to its equilibrium height, which corresponds to a pressure of 750 hPa.

1. What is the decrease in internal energy?
  2. What is the temperature of the air parcel at its equilibrium height?
  3. Assuming the parcel ascends at the dry adiabatic lapse rate, what is the height of the parcel at
equilibrium?

Homework Equations

pV = mRT
dU/dT = cV

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
pV = mRT

R (dry air gas constant) = 287.056 J/kg*K

V = (mRT)/p

W = p∆V
W = -∆U

I am not sure if you are able to just plug the pressure (750 hpa), mass, temperature (288K), into the volume equation like that...

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
In hPa, what is the pressure at ground level?

Since this is an adiabatic reversible expansion of the parcel of air, from the first law, how are the differential changes in internal energy related to the differential changes in parcel volume? Treating the air as an idea gas, how are the differential changes in internal energy related to the differential changes in parcel temperature?

Chestermiller said:
In hPa, what is the pressure at ground level?

Since this is an adiabatic reversible expansion of the parcel of air, from the first law, how are the differential changes in internal energy related to the differential changes in parcel volume? Treating the air as an idea gas, how are the differential changes in internal energy related to the differential changes in parcel temperature?

hPa at ground level will be 1013.25? which equation would be the right one to start with?
Also can i find the volume at ground level using V = (mRT)/p?

il27 said:
hPa at ground level will be 1013.25? which equation would be the right one to start with?
Also can i find the volume at ground level using V = (mRT)/p?
I can help you with this, but, before we begin, I need to know if you have any kind of experience solving problems involving adiabatic reversible expansion of ideal gases. Please fill me in on what you know.

Chestermiller said:
I can help you with this, but, before we begin, I need to know if you have any kind of experience solving problems involving adiabatic reversible expansion of ideal gases. Please fill me in on what you know.

Yes, I have some experience. I have dealt with the Clausius Clapeyron equation and used work and energy with regards to thermodynamics. One question, can I assume the pressure at ground level is 1013.25 hpa and then use the Poisson equation? Of (T/T0) = (p/p0)^k? and then isolate for T to find the temperature at the equilibrium point?

il27 said:
Yes, I have some experience. I have dealt with the Clausius Clapeyron equation and used work and energy with regards to thermodynamics. One question, can I assume the pressure at ground level is 1013.25 hpa and then use the Poisson equation? Of (T/T0) = (p/p0)^k? and then isolate for T to find the temperature at the equilibrium point?
Yes. This is the pressure to use. Also, the equation you have written is the correct one to use to get the temperature, provided $$k=\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}$$ where ##\gamma## is the ratio of the specific heat at constant pressure to the specific heat at constant volume.

Very good so far.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. This is the pressure to use. Also, the equation you have written is the correct one to use to get the temperature, provided $$k=\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}$$ where ##\gamma## is the ratio of the specific heat at constant pressure to the specific heat at constant volume.

Very good so far.

Excellent! Thank you so much!
I was then thinking of using this equation to find the height that the air parcel is at when reaching equilibrium:
$$ T = T_0 - \Gamma*Z $$ and then isolating Z to find the new height. Is that in the right direction to finding Z?

il27 said:
Excellent! Thank you so much!
I was then thinking of using this equation to find the height that the air parcel is at when reaching equilibrium:
$$ T = T_0 - \Gamma*Z $$ and then isolating Z to find the new height. Is that in the right direction to finding Z?
Yes, for part c, that's what I would do.

Chestermiller said:
Yes, for part c, that's what I would do.

Thank you! I'm so sorry, but just one last question about part A. What would be the best method to find the decrease in internal energy? I am a bit confused on that part.
Thank you for all your help :)

$$\Delta U=mC_v\Delta T$$

What is climate physics?

Climate physics is the study of the physical processes and mechanisms that govern the Earth's climate system. It involves understanding how energy from the sun is absorbed, reflected, and distributed throughout the Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and land. This field also includes the study of various feedback mechanisms that can influence the Earth's climate, such as the greenhouse effect.

How does climate change affect the Earth?

Climate change can have a wide range of effects on the Earth, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, changes in precipitation patterns, and shifts in wildlife habitats. It can also impact human health and economies, as well as contribute to political and social instability.

What is the role of human activities in climate change?

Human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels, deforestation, and agriculture, release large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. These gases trap heat and contribute to the Earth's warming, leading to climate change. While natural factors also play a role in climate change, human activities are the primary driver of the current warming trend.

What are the potential solutions to climate change?

There are various strategies for mitigating and adapting to climate change. These include reducing greenhouse gas emissions through renewable energy sources, carbon capture and storage, and energy efficiency measures. Other solutions may involve changes in land use practices, such as reforestation, and implementing policies and technologies to help communities adapt to the impacts of climate change.

How can we accurately predict future climate change?

Climate scientists use complex computer models to simulate the Earth's climate and make predictions about future changes. These models take into account various factors, such as atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases, changes in land use, and natural climate cycles. While these models are not perfect, they can provide valuable insights and help inform decision-making in addressing climate change.