Calculating Cost/Pallet for 5 Months: Terminology & Formula

• MHB
  • Thread starter briandewyea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, the conversation discusses the terminology and formula needed to calculate the cost of storing goods in a warehouse, given the amount of pallets ordered and consumed each month. It is referred to as an arithmetic progression and the formula for finding the sum of the series is provided. The person is grateful for the information and plans to use it in their spreadsheet.
briandewyea
Hi,
I am working on building some excel spreadsheets, and need to know the terminology for a math process to help with building formulas. This is the situation I'm working on:
I am charged \$10/pallet of goods per month.
I order 10 pallets of material, of which 2 pallets every month are consumed.
It will take 5 months to go through all my stock.

My question is: What is the term called to figure this out? I know it's 10+8+6+4+2=30...so it will cost \$300 in storage...but I don't know what it's called. Is there some sort of formula I can use, rather than doing it long-hand?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing the amount of pallets ordered and sold each month is different? If not, you've answered all the questions you need to.

briandewyea said:
My question is: What is the term called to figure this out? I know it's 10+8+6+4+2=30...so it will cost \$300 in storage...but I don't know what it's called. Is there some sort of formula I can use, rather than doing it long-hand?
A sequence of numbers that increase or decrease at a constant rate, like 10,8,6,4,2, is called an arithmetic progression. The link in the previous sentence will give you a formula for the sum of the series. The easiest way to state the formula is that you add the first and last terms, multiply by the number of terms, then divide by 2. In the case of your series, that would give $\dfrac{(10+2)\times5}2 = \dfrac{60}2 = 30.$

Joppy - Correct, we're continually getting various numbers of pallets of parts that have different amounts on them, all of which are worked down to 0 at different rates

Opalg - Thanks so much! I'll use this link and work that into my spreadsheet. This is exactly what I was looking for!

What is the formula for calculating cost/pallet for 5 months?

The formula for calculating cost/pallet for 5 months is: (Total Cost for 5 months) / (Total Number of Pallets for 5 months).

What is the terminology used for calculating cost/pallet for 5 months?

The terminology used for calculating cost/pallet for 5 months is "cost per pallet" or "pallet cost".

How do I calculate the total cost for 5 months?

To calculate the total cost for 5 months, add up all the costs for each month over the 5-month period.

What if I have different costs for each month within the 5-month period?

If you have different costs for each month, calculate the total cost for each month and then add them together for the 5-month period. Then use this total cost in the formula to calculate the cost/pallet.

Is the cost/pallet for 5 months the same as the cost/pallet for 1 month?

No, the cost/pallet for 5 months will likely be higher than the cost/pallet for 1 month since it takes into account the total cost over a longer period of time.