Calculating Cp for Ideal Gases using Thermodynamic Relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of Meyer's formula for calculating the value of Cp and the alternative approach of finding Cp through the Adiabatic Coefficient. The question of whether Meyers equation is always valid is also brought up, with relevant equations being Cp=Cv + R. The conversation concludes with a justification for the equation and its application for ideal gases.
Rongeet Banerjee
Homework Statement
Is Meyers equation :
Cp - Cv =R always valid?
Relevant Equations
Cp=Cv +R
1591639410259567082635.jpg

In this particular Question according to Meyer's formula,the value of Cp should be (8.314+5) i.e. 13.314 .But that option is missing.
There is another approach to this problem by finding the Adiabatic Coefficient and then finding Cp.I have no problem with that approach.
But my initial doubt still remains.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rongeet Banerjee said:
Homework Statement:: Is Meyers equation :
Cp - Cv =R always valid?
Relevant Equations:: Cp=Cv +R

View attachment 264333
In this particular Question according to Meyer's formula,the value of Cp should be (8.314+5) i.e. 13.314 .But that option is missing.
There is another approach to this problem by finding the Adiabatic Coefficient and then finding Cp.I have no problem with that approach.
But my initial doubt still remains.
Cp = Cv + R is true only for an ideal gas. However, the volume occupied by one mole of gas at a certain temperature and pressure (NTP in this case) is the same for ideal and real gases. I think you are expected to determine ##\gamma## from the speed of sound and determine Cp from that.

AM

Thanks

Just to provide some justification: For any gas, you have ##C_V = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_V## and ##C_p = \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T} \right)_p##. Now $$H = U + pV \implies \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T} \right)_p = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_p + p \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right)_p$$For an ideal gas, you have ##C_V = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_V = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T} \right)_p##. Furthermore for an ideal gas, ##V = \frac{nRT}{p} \implies p \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right)_p = nR##. Hence we finally obtain $$C_p = C_V + nR$$

1. What is thermodynamics in physics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relation to energy and work. It also involves the behavior and properties of matter at different temperatures and pressures.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They include the law of conservation of energy, the law of entropy, and the law of absolute temperature.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics can be seen in everyday life in various ways, such as the functioning of engines and refrigerators, the cooking and heating of food, and the transfer of heat in our homes and environment.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a colder object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In thermodynamics, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to other branches of physics?

Thermodynamics has connections to other branches of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also closely related to other fields like chemistry, engineering, and biology, as it helps to explain the behavior of matter and energy in various systems.