Calculating credit card debt using a geometric series

In summary, to find the balance on a credit card after n months of making minimum payments of 15 dollars, with an initial charge of 800 dollars and an APR of 18% compounded monthly, the expression is 800*(1+1.5%)^n-15(1+1.5%)^(n-1)-15(1+1.5%)^(n-2)...15(1+1.5%). This is a combination of a geometric series and compound interest formulas.
rosemary1234
A man gets a credit card and buys something that charges exactly 800 dollars to the card. The APR on the card is 18 % compounded monthly, and the minimum payment is 15 dollars a month. What is the expression for A(n), the balance on the card after n months? (This should be a geometric series).

I have tried to come up with different formulas, and none provide answers that make sense. I have tried to fit the information into formulas combining the sum of a geometric series and compound interest, with no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps take it one month at a time. After 1 month, what is the balance before, and after interest?

since apr=18%,then precentage rate is 18%/12=1.5%.
the balance after 1st month=800+800*1.5%
2nd month=(800+800*1.5%-15)(1+1.5%);
3rd month=((800+800*1.5%-15)(1+1.5%)-15))(1+1.5%);
rewirte; 1th month=800*(1+1.5%);
2nd month=800(1+1.5%)^2-15(1+1.5%);
3rd month=800(1+1.5%)^3-15(1+1.5%)^2-15(1+1.5%);
therefore, n month=800*(1+1.5%)^n-15(1+1.55)^(n-1)-15(1+1.5%)^(n-2)...15(1+1.5%)
the part after 800*(1+1.5%)^n is a geometric series///
problem solved !

1. How do I calculate credit card debt using a geometric series?

To calculate credit card debt using a geometric series, you will need to know the initial balance, the interest rate, and the number of years. Then, you can use the formula A = P(1 + r)^n, where A is the total amount owed, P is the initial balance, r is the interest rate, and n is the number of compounding periods (usually months or years). This formula will give you the total amount owed at the end of the specified time period.

2. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a series of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. In the context of calculating credit card debt, the constant number represents the interest rate and each term represents the amount of debt at a specific time period.

3. Why is it important to calculate credit card debt using a geometric series?

Calculating credit card debt using a geometric series allows you to accurately determine the total amount owed over a specific time period. This can help you make informed decisions about your finances and create a plan to pay off your debt.

4. Can I use a geometric series to calculate credit card debt with variable interest rates?

No, a geometric series formula assumes a constant interest rate. If your credit card has a variable interest rate, you will need to use a different formula or consult with a financial advisor.

5. How can I use the geometric series formula to pay off my credit card debt faster?

You can use the geometric series formula to calculate the total amount of debt owed at different time periods. By making larger payments or paying more frequently, you can reduce the total amount owed and pay off your debt faster. Additionally, you may want to consider transferring your debt to a credit card with a lower interest rate to save money in the long run.