Trust Fund problem using series and sequences

In summary, the question is asking for the answer to the following equation: P_n = A * (1 + r)n where r is the interest rate. Using the convergence formula, the answer is 135,000 dollars annual payment.
Aristarchus_
Homework Statement
A person sets up a fund of 3,000,000 dollars which is to pay out a certain amount every year in the future, the first time in three years. The fund has a yield of 4.5% per year. How big can the annual payments be?
Relevant Equations
Convergance of a geometric series: ##S_n = \frac {a_1}{1-k}##, where k is the quotient , a_1 is the first term.
Sum of a geometric series: ## S_n = a_1 \cdot \frac{k^{n}-1}{k-1}##
The correct answer given in the textbook is 147,423 dollars
I have tried inserting 0.955 in the above formula for the sum of a geometric series and setting it equal to 3,000,000 (S_n) with n =3. This did not work out well
My second attempt was, considering that the payment is paid every year in the future, to use the convergence formula. There k = 0.955 and S_n = 3,000,000, this gives me the wrong answer of 135,000 dollars annual payment...
What does "first time in three years" imply? And how is it connected to the geometric series formula?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the value of the fund at the start of year [itex]n[/itex] is [itex]P_n[/itex], then what is its value [itex]P_{n+1}[/itex] at the start of the next year, given that we have withdrawn a paymanet of [itex]A[/itex] during the year and received interest at a rate [itex]r = 4.5\,\%[/itex] on the balance?

The question doesn't give a set term for the annuity, so I guess it is looking for the maximum payment we can take without diminishing the value of the fund, which is the value of [itex]A[/itex] which makes [itex]P_{n+1} = P_n[/itex]. Since we don't start withdrawing payments until after year 3, this tells us the value of [itex]P_n[/itex] to use to determine [itex]A[/itex].

pasmith said:
If the value of the fund at the start of year [itex]n[/itex] is [itex]P_n[/itex], then what is its value [itex]P_{n+1}[/itex] at the start of the next year, given that we have withdrawn a paymanet of [itex]A[/itex] during the year and received interest at a rate [itex]r = 4.5\,\%[/itex] on the balance?

The question doesn't give a set term for the annuity, so I guess it is looking for the maximum payment we can take without diminishing the value of the fund, which is the value of [itex]A[/itex] which makes [itex]P_{n+1} = P_n[/itex]. Since we don't start withdrawing payments until after year 3, this tells us the value of [itex]P_n[/itex] to use to determine [itex]A[/itex].
What does "first time in three years" imply? I saw a couple of problems of this sort and it confuses me

Aristarchus_ said:
What does "first time in three years" imply?
Not sure what you mean by what it implies, but what it means is that the initial amount, $3,000,000, sits in the account for three years, accruing interest. No payments are withdrawn during this period.

Mark44 said:
Not sure what you mean by what it implies, but what it means is that the initial amount, $3,000,000, sits in the account for three years, accruing interest. No payments are withdrawn during this period.
Right...so it would grow by an annual interest amount?

Mark44 said:
I got the correct answer by setting in the geometric sum formula 3,000,000 * 1.045^2. This means, as you said, that in those three years, the amount has grown by this much (the first year just 3,000,000 fixed, second 3,000,000*1.045, third 3,000,000*1.045...). Thank you

1. What is the "Trust Fund problem" using series and sequences?

The "Trust Fund problem" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the amount of money that will be left in a trust fund after a certain number of years, assuming a fixed interest rate and annual contributions. It can be solved using series and sequences, which are mathematical tools used to represent and analyze patterns of numbers.

2. How do series and sequences apply to the Trust Fund problem?

In the Trust Fund problem, series and sequences are used to represent the annual contributions and interest earned on the trust fund. By using these mathematical tools, we can calculate the total amount of money in the trust fund after a given number of years.

3. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A series is a sum of a sequence of numbers, while a sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. In the Trust Fund problem, the annual contributions and interest earned would be represented as a sequence, while the total amount in the trust fund would be represented as a series.

4. How can we use series and sequences to solve the Trust Fund problem?

To solve the Trust Fund problem, we can use the formulas for calculating the sum of a finite geometric series and the sum of a finite arithmetic series. These formulas involve the initial amount in the trust fund, the interest rate, and the number of years the trust fund will be active.

5. Can series and sequences be used to solve other financial problems?

Yes, series and sequences can be used to solve a variety of financial problems, such as calculating compound interest, annuities, and mortgage payments. These mathematical tools are also commonly used in other fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.