Calculating Current Density Distribution in Proximity Wires

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating current density distribution in wires with eddy currents and asks for guidance on the correct approach and any necessary boundary conditions or restrictions. The person also mentions a specific issue with visualizing the distribution numerically and requests assistance.
desert_donkey
Hello.

I'm floundering.

What is the right way to formulate a problem of calculating the current density distribution across the wire's cross-setion, taking into account eddy currents? If the Maxwell's equations are not the way to go, what is? What should be the boundary conditions or any other restrictions placed on the solution?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks big time. That's not altogether what I meant though. I know quite a few things about skin effect, but I have a rather specific problem in mind.

I have two wires in close proximity carrying currents at the same frequency. I need to visualise the current density distribution in each of them. It is quite obvious that I have to do it numerically but I cannot really put my finger on how to pose the problem correctly.

I would really appreciate your help, it is important.

Thank you.

1. What is AC current density in a wire?

AC current density in a wire refers to the amount of alternating current that flows through a wire per unit area. It is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m²).

2. How is AC current density different from DC current density?

The main difference between AC current density and DC current density is that AC current constantly changes direction while DC current flows in one direction. This results in a varying current density for AC and a constant current density for DC.

3. What factors affect AC current density in a wire?

The factors that affect AC current density in a wire include the voltage of the AC current, the resistance of the wire, and the cross-sectional area of the wire. Other factors such as temperature and the material of the wire can also have an impact.

4. How can AC current density be calculated?

AC current density can be calculated by dividing the amount of AC current passing through a wire by the cross-sectional area of the wire. This will give the current density in amperes per square meter (A/m²).

5. Why is AC current density important to consider in electrical systems?

AC current density is important to consider in electrical systems because high current densities can lead to overheating and potential damage to the wire and surrounding components. It is also important for determining the appropriate wire size and ensuring safe and efficient operation of the system.