Calculating Current in a Wire Loop Inside and Outside a Solenoid

In summary: If the larger loop goes completely around the solenoid, then the magnetic flux through it would be much larger and the induced current would be much larger.In summary, we are trying to find the current in two different wire loops with resistance 9.0 Ω, one with a 5.0-cm diameter and one with a 15-cm diameter, lying inside and outside respectively of a 2400-turn solenoid that is 2.4 m long and 10 cm in diameter, with a solenoid current increasing at 1.4 kA/s. Using the equations M = µo (N/l) N' A' and I = emf/R, we were able to calculate the current
Noreturn

Homework Statement

A 2400-turn solenoid is 2.4 m long and 10 cm in diameter. The solenoid current is increasing at 1.4 kA/s .

Find the current in a 5.0-cm-diameter wire loop with resistance 9.0 Ω lying inside the solenoid and perpendicular to the solenoid axis.

Repeat for a similarly oriented 15-cm-diameter loop with the same resistance, lying entirely outside the solenoid.

Homework Equations

M = µo (N/l) N' A'
I = emf/R

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part I was able to figure out it's the second part that I am struggling with. I tried doing the same equation I used.

Part A: .38mA

Here is what I plugged in:
(4pi(10-7)(2400pi)(.15)2)/ (4(2.4))*1400= 31.089*10-3

I = emf/R
31.089*10-3/9= 3.45 mA which is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
How much of the area of the larger ring has magnetic flux?

TSny said:
How much of the area of the larger ring has magnetic flux?
oh! 15cm -5cm. So I should be donig it with 10cm diameter. or .05radiius!

(4pi(10-7)(2400pi)(.10)2)/ (4(2.4))*1400= 13.81mV

13.81/9= 1.5mA

Noreturn said:
oh! 15cm -5cm. So I should be donig it with 10cm diameter. or .05radiius!
I believe so.

TSny said:
I believe so.
I updated that post I just made with the math. I only have one more chance to submit since I used all my chances. I'll wait until someone can confirm that is right.

Looks correct to me. The only thing that's not clear to me in the problem is the statement that the larger ring is "lying completely outside the solenoid". That could mean that it doesn't encircle the solenoid. But I think you are probably correct in assuming that it does.

So that was incorrect, any other ideas on where we went wrong? It doesn't show me the right answer or how they got it it. Someone asked a similar question in class and said that we shouldn't be multiplying by 2400 on part B since it's only asking for 1 coil, but it doesn't really sound like that so that does not make sense either.

Any other help is appreciated to help understand it.

If we just do one coil and do the math the same we get .001mA which in two sig figs is 0 which doesn't make sense.

Sorry that the answer was incorrect. I still don't see any mistake. You definitely want to use the 2400 turns in getting the number of turns per unit length, n, of the solenoid: n = (2400 turns)/(2.4 m) = 1000 turns per meter.

If the problem meant to take the larger ring as completely outside and not encircling the solenoid, then there would be negligible magnetic flux through the larger ring. So, the answer would be zero induced emf and zero induced current.

Did anyone claim that they got the correct answer?

Note: 0.001 has one significant figure; namely, the 1. None of the zeros written here are counted as significant. More examples:

0.000034 has two significant figures (the 3 and the 4)

.0000340 has three significant figures (the 3, the 4, and the last 0). It can be helpful to use scientific notation:

.001 = 1 x 10-3

.000034 = 3.4 x 10-5

.0000340 = 3.40 x 10-5

I have not heard of anyone else getting it right so far.

So just to confirm with our calculations we were getting 1.5mA?

Noreturn said:
So just to confirm with our calculations we were getting 1.5mA?
Yes. I get 1.54 mA.
That is, 1.5 mA to 2 significant figures. This assumes that the solenoid passes through the loop.

What is the definition of current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor or circuit, measured in units of amperes (A).

How does current flow in a loop?

Current flows in a loop in a circular path, from the positive terminal of a power source, through the loop, and back to the negative terminal.

What factors affect the current in a loop?

The current in a loop is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the loop, and the number of turns in the loop.

How do you calculate the current in a loop?

The current in a loop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R): I = V/R.

Why is finding the current in a loop important in science?

Knowing the current in a loop is important in science because it helps us understand and control the flow of electricity, which is a fundamental aspect of many scientific disciplines, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.