Calculating Dark Matter Events in Xenon | 100 GeV, 0.3 GeV/cm3

In summary, you would expect to see about 215 events per year in a cubic metre of Xenon at room temperature if the dark matter particle has a mass of 100 GeV and a velocity of 200 km/s.
Bacilla
Assume that the density of dark matter near the Earth is 0.3 GeV / cm3 and that the dark matter particle has a mass of 100 GeV and a velocity of 200 km/s. If the dark matter-nucleon cross section is 10-44cm2 calculate how many events you would expect to see every year in a metre cubed volume of Xenon at room temperature.

Haven`t done anything similar and now struggling...

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to take a sqare metre box, and calculate the total area of the xenon atoms in the box, and i found out that the area is 165 000 square metres, which gives 100% impact probability. Thats not good...

The cross section is the effective 'size' of the xenon atom as far as the particles hitting it are concerned. So you need to calculate the total cross section area for a cubic metre of xenon and the number of particles going through the cubic metre pers second.

edit - is that what you tried? Looks like you might have got a few powers of 10 wrong. Make sure you are working in consitent units.

Can i simplify that Dark matter articles are point like, and they are traveling all in one directon?

Hi, I don't know what you are talking about, but when I did molecular theory we used a simplification that the mean of square speeds of particles in one direction is 1/3 of the mean square speeds of particles in all directions.
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/5379/clipboard01qw2.jpg

This is probably irrelevant, but anyway, goodluck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bacilla said:
Can i simplify that Dark matter articles are point like, and they are traveling all in one directon?

Yes - treat the dark matter particles as rays going through the Xenon.
The 'area' of the xenon comes from the cross section and th enumbe rof atoms in that volume.

mgb_phys said:
The 'area' of the xenon comes from the cross section and th enumbe rof atoms in that volume.

If the radius of a Xe atom is 10^-10m or 100pm and there is 2.5*10^25 atoms in a cubic metre, then the area* is 900000 square metres. this means that a particle will interact with 900000 Xe atoms when crossing a metre of a gass, that doesn`t make sense to me...

*area = all atoms in the cubic metre forming a one atom thick film.

The cross section area is given in the question.
It's not the physical area (which is a bit meaningless for an atom) - the capture cross section is the area * the probability of it interacting. Think of it as the cross section area the atom would have if it were guarranteed to stop an incoming particle.

Silly me, haven't noticed the "nucleon" part in a "dark matter-nucleon" expresion...
Now there is only 4.65*10^-3 events per year, that is a bit low i think, as you will need 215 square metres of water to observe one event per year.

1. What is dark matter and why is it important to study?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to traditional telescopes. It is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Understanding dark matter is important because it helps us better understand the structure and dynamics of the universe.

2. How do scientists calculate dark matter events in xenon?

Scientists use a technique called direct detection, which involves using a sensitive detector made of xenon to measure the interactions between dark matter particles and normal matter. By analyzing the data collected from the detector, scientists can calculate the number of dark matter events that occur within a specific time frame.

3. What does the unit "GeV" stand for in the context of dark matter calculations?

GeV stands for gigaelectronvolt, which is a unit of energy commonly used in particle physics. In this context, it refers to the amount of energy that a dark matter particle has, with 1 GeV being equivalent to about 1.6x10^-10 joules.

4. How does the density of dark matter affect the calculations?

The density of dark matter is an important factor in calculating dark matter events because it determines the likelihood of a dark matter particle interacting with normal matter. In this case, a density of 0.3 GeV/cm3 means that there are 0.3 GeV of dark matter particles per cubic centimeter of space.

5. Why is the xenon detector specifically used for calculating dark matter events?

Xenon is an ideal material for detecting dark matter because it is sensitive to low energy interactions and has a low background noise. Additionally, xenon is a heavy element, making it more likely to interact with dark matter particles compared to lighter elements like hydrogen or helium. Therefore, using a xenon detector allows for more accurate and precise calculations of dark matter events.