Calculating Deceleration and Force: Car and Trailer Braking Forces

• Thread starter Apprentice123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, a car of 1200 kg pulling a trailer of 1050 kg is traveling at 90 km/h when the brakes are suddenly applied. The forces of officers in the car brakes and trailer are 4500N and 3600N, respectively. It is not possible to calculate the deceleration of the joint or the horizontal component of force exerted by the trailer on the car. However, using the formula ∑F = (∑m)*a, the deceleration of the combined system can be found to be 3.6 m/s^2. Drawing a force diagram and using the formula Break + F = mB . a, the horizontal component of force exerted by the trailer on the
Apprentice123
A car of 1200 kg pull a trailer of 1050 kg. The set is moving at 90 km/h suddenly suffers the action of the brakes. Knowing that the forces of officers in the car brakes on the trailer and worth 4500N and 3600N, respectively, determine (a) the deceleration of the joint and (b) the horizontal component of force exerted by the trailer on the car

I think:

Car

ZFx = mc . a
-Ftc = mc . a

Trailer

ZFx = mt . a
Ftc = mt . a

But not possible to calculate

Physics news on Phys.org
Apprentice123 said:
A car of 1200 kg pull a trailer of 1050 kg. The set is moving at 90 km/h suddenly suffers the action of the brakes. Knowing that the forces of officers in the car brakes on the trailer and worth 4500N and 3600N, respectively, determine (a) the deceleration of the joint and (b) the horizontal component of force exerted by the trailer on the car

I think:
Car
ZFx = mc . a
-Ftc = mc . a

Trailer
ZFx = mt . a
Ftc = mt . a

But not possible to calculate

What is the deceleration of the combined system?

∑F = (∑m)*a

a = ∑F/∑m

Then, knowing the deceleration of the whole, draw a force diagram to figure the forces between the parts.

LowlyPion said:
What is the deceleration of the combined system?

∑F = (∑m)*a

a = ∑F/∑m

Then, knowing the deceleration of the whole, draw a force diagram to figure the forces between the parts.

Thank you.

a = (4500+3600)/(1200+1050) = 3,6 m/s^2

Break + F = mB . a
F = (1050 x 3,6) - 3600
F = 180 N

1. What is a "Problem CAR"?

A "Problem CAR" refers to a specific type of car that has been identified as having recurring issues or defects that impact its performance or safety.

2. How do I know if my car is a "Problem CAR"?

If your car has been subject to multiple recalls, has a history of mechanical issues, or has received numerous complaints from other owners, it may be considered a "Problem CAR". You can also research your car's make and model to see if it has a history of recurring problems.

3. What should I do if I have a "Problem CAR"?

If you believe your car is a "Problem CAR", you should first contact the manufacturer to see if they have any recalls or repairs available for your specific issue. You can also report any problems to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and file a complaint with them.

4. Can I get a refund or compensation for my "Problem CAR"?

In some cases, the manufacturer may offer a buyback or compensation program for "Problem CARs". However, this is not guaranteed and will depend on the specific circumstances and laws in your state. It is best to consult with a lawyer or consumer protection agency for guidance.

5. How can I prevent buying a "Problem CAR" in the future?

Before purchasing a car, do thorough research on the make and model to see if it has a history of recurring issues or recalls. You can also check for any open recalls with the NHTSA using your car's VIN number. Additionally, consider purchasing a vehicle history report to see if the car has been in any accidents or had any major mechanical issues in the past.