Calculating derivatives for the Euler equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a calculus of variations problem from Boas chapter 9. The person is having trouble with differentiation and is given equations for F and its partial derivatives with respect to y and y'. They then move on to Euler's equation and encounter a strange differential equation. After realizing a mistake in the subtraction and correcting it, they are able to solve the problem.
mishima
This is a calculus of variations problem from Boas chapter 9. I seem to be misunderstanding something with differentiation. Given

$$F=(1+yy')^2$$

then

$$\frac {\partial F} {\partial y'}=2(1+yy')y$$

and

$$\frac {\partial F} {\partial y}=2(1+yy')y' .$$

Now this one I am not so confident on...

$$\frac {d}{dx} \frac {\partial F} {\partial y'}=2y'+(4yy'^2+2y^2y'')$$

because after Euler's equation,

$$\frac {d}{dx} \frac {\partial F} {\partial y'} - \frac {\partial F} {\partial y}=0$$

I get this strange differential equation

$$2yy'+2y^2y''=0.$$

Am I making a mistake with the derivatives or just not realizing the correct technique for the final differential equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see a mistake in the subtraction, not in the derivatives :rolleyes:

Likes mishima
Ah, thanks...forgot the exponent there.

$$2yy'^2+2y^2y''=0$$

Good to know the derivatives are correct. I guess this diff eq is a form I haven't encountered in the text, or is a familiar form in disguise. Ill concentrate in that direction.

Maybe it becomes less intimidating if you leave out a common factor ##2y## :wink:

Likes mishima
Got it, I had forgotten the square in my notes as well...thanks.

$$x=ay^2+b$$

1. What is the Euler equation?

The Euler equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the derivative of a function. It is commonly used in calculus and is named after Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. Why is it important to calculate derivatives for the Euler equation?

Calculating derivatives for the Euler equation helps us understand the rate of change of a function and how it is affected by its inputs. This is crucial in many fields of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you calculate derivatives for the Euler equation?

The process of calculating derivatives for the Euler equation involves using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of a function at any given point.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating derivatives for the Euler equation?

There are many real-world applications of calculating derivatives for the Euler equation. For example, in physics, it is used to determine the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion. In economics, it is used to analyze the relationship between supply and demand. In engineering, it is used to design and optimize structures and systems.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when calculating derivatives for the Euler equation?

One limitation of calculating derivatives for the Euler equation is that it can be a time-consuming process, especially for more complex functions. Additionally, there may be cases where the derivative does not exist or is undefined, making it challenging to calculate. In these situations, alternative methods may need to be used.