Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations

In summary, when varying the term in the Lagrangian given by ##\frac{1}{3}A^{\mu} \partial_{\mu}\Phi##, we get the corresponding term in the equations of motion as ##\frac{1}{3}\partial^m\partial^n\Phi-\frac{1}{4}\eta^{\alpha \beta} \partial^f \partial_f \Phi##.
binbagsss
I need to vary w.r.t ##a_{\alpha \beta} ##

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}{a_{\alpha\beta}})}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial {a_{\alpha \beta}}}## (1)

I am looking at varying the term in the Lagrangian of ##\frac{1}{3}A^{\mu} \partial_{\mu}\Phi ##

where ##A^{\beta}=\partial_k {a^{k\beta}} ##

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}{a_{\alpha\beta}})}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial {a_{\alpha \beta}}}##

My working(Expect it to yield a corresponding term in the EoMs as: ##\frac{1}{3}\partial^m \partial^{n} \Phi-\frac{1}{4}\eta^{\alpha \beta} \partial^f \partial_f \Phi## [2] )I don't think I've ever done this properly, so my apologies, but my guess is want to keep things as general as possible with the indicies in (1) and those used on the ##a_{\alpha \beta} ## tensor so (also, with the first term in (1)- is the index ##\mu## are they both supposed to be the same or is it better to keep it more general, something like:##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_{\nu}(\partial_{\mu}{a_{\alpha\beta}})}##?) :

## \frac{1}{3}A^{\mu} \partial_{\mu}\Phi= \frac{1}{3}\partial_c a^{c \mu} \partial_{\mu} \Phi, ##

So if I say I am varying it w.r.t ##\partial_{k}a^{mn}## for the first term of (1), (obviously second term of (1) not relevant):

first I lower the indices on : ##\frac{1}{3}\partial_c \eta^{wc} \eta^{zu}a_{wz}\partial_{\mu} \Phi ##then, (this is the bit I'm more unsure of- get deltas from requiring the indices on the derivative and tensor to match...)when varying wrt ##\partial_{k}a^{mn}## :##\frac{1}{3}\delta_{c,k}\delta_{m,w}\delta_{n,z}\eta^{wc}\eta^{zu}\partial_{\mu}\Phi ####=\frac{1}{3}\eta^{mk}\eta^{n\mu}\partial_{\mu}\Phi ##so for ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_k(\partial_{k}{a_{mn}})}## get:##\partial_k\frac{1}{3}\eta^{mk}\eta^{n\mu}\partial_{\mu}\Phi ##
##= \frac{1}{3}\partial^m\partial^n\Phi ##

And so I have got the first term of [2] but not the second term. :(

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It looks like you have made some progress in your calculations, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, in the first term of (1), the index ##\mu## should be the same as the one in the derivative of the Lagrangian, so it should be ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}{a_{\alpha\beta}})}##.

Secondly, when you vary wrt ##\partial_{k}a^{mn}##, the indices should match, so it should be ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_{k}(\partial_{m}{a_{n\mu}})}##. Then, when you perform the variation, you should get:

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial_{k}(\partial_{m}{a_{n\mu}})} = \frac{1}{3}\partial^m\partial^n\Phi - \frac{1}{3}\delta_{mk}\delta_{n\mu}\partial^f\partial_f\Phi ##

The second term in this expression is the one that matches the second term in [2].

I hope this helps clarify things for you! Keep up the good work.

1. What are Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations?

Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations are mathematical equations used in the field of calculus of variations to find the extremum of a functional. They are named after mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who developed the equations in the 18th century.

2. How are Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations used in physics?

Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations are used to find the equations of motion for a physical system by minimizing a functional known as the action. This allows us to describe the behavior of a system in terms of its underlying physical laws.

3. Can Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations be applied to any type of system?

Yes, Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations can be applied to any system that can be described by a functional. This includes mechanical, electrical, and even quantum systems.

4. What is the difference between Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations and Euler-Lagrange Equations?

The main difference is that Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations are used for systems with multiple variables, while Euler-Lagrange Equations are used for systems with a single variable. The tensor equations also take into account the curvature of the underlying space, making them more general and applicable to a wider range of problems.

5. How do you solve Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations?

Euler-Lagrange Tensor Equations can be solved using various methods, such as the direct method of calculus of variations or the Hamiltonian formalism. These methods involve taking derivatives and solving a system of equations to find the extremum of the functional. Advanced techniques such as the calculus of variations on manifolds can also be used for more complex problems.