Calculating ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction with Multiple Bond Types

In summary, the poster has a question about calculating the ΔH of a gas reaction involving various molecules and bonds. They initially attempted to use a method involving the sum of bond enthalpies, but were unsure of their approach. Another poster suggests taking out redundancies in the calculation. Finally, it is pointed out that the CN bond in one of the molecules is a triple bond, which should be taken into account when calculating the ΔH.
Asclepius
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I've lurked on the site in the past, and really appreciate the wealth of resources that are provided here, especially the math section! Anyway, I have a question that I'm sure is very elementary but for some reason I have failed to grasp and therefore has produced bogus results. I'm trying to calculate the ΔH of a gas reaction that is as follows:

2CH2=CHCH3 + 2NH3 + 3O2 → 2CH2=CHCN + 6H2O

So what I did was sum up [moles of bonds * bond enthalpy for bonds broken] and subtract [moles of bonds * bond enthalpy for bonds formed] from that. My values looked like this:

[(2 mols C=C * 598) + (4 mols C-H * 416) + (2 mols C-H * 416) + (2 mols C-C * 356) + (6 mols C-H * 416) + (6 mols N-H * 391) + (3 mols O=O * 498)] - [(4 mols C-H) + (2 mols C=C * 598) + (2 mols C-H * 416) + (2 mols C-C * 356) + (2 mols C-N * 285) + (12 mols H-O * 467)] = 162 kJ

Just looking at how messy that came out, I knew before I began calculating that my method of approach must have been flawed. So, can anyone point out how to calculate deltaH? My text gives only the most elementary of examples, like CH4 + 2O2 ---> CO2 + 2H2O, so that hasn't helped me with a more advanced problem like this one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could give me some advice.:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's right. The method of subtracting the sum of one side from the other was the way I was taught (this year) how to determine change in enthaply. There are other ways you can do it to, which involves adding up the enthaplies of formation, ionization, etc. on one side and subtracting it from another, but the average bond energy method is much simplier.

-scott

Thanks for your response, scott.

I suppose the method is correct, but I think the problem is how I'm determining the bonds and the moles of said bonds. My course has an online quiz which tells you if you got the question right or wrong when you enter your answer. I entered 162 and was told the answer was incorrect.

Take out the redundancies to clear things up. There is no need given the mechanism to calculate C=C broken and C=C formed.

Hmm, I see; but if they are redundant, they will just cancel each other out in the calculation anyway, no?

I would draw out each molocuel and count up all of the bonds. It seems like it would be pretty easy to just miss one by mistake.

-scott

In 2CH2=CHCN the CN is a triple bond. You need to use the enthalpy value for that triple bond and you'll get the right answer.

1. What is ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction?

ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction refers to the change in enthalpy that occurs during a chemical reaction in the gas phase. Enthalpy is a measure of the energy contained in a system, and ΔH specifically refers to the change in energy between the reactants and the products of a reaction.

2. How is ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction calculated?

ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction is calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products. This can be done experimentally by measuring the heat released or absorbed during the reaction, or it can be calculated using thermodynamic data for the specific reactants and products.

3. What factors affect ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction?

The main factors that can affect ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction include the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the reactants and products, as well as the presence of a catalyst. Changes in these factors can alter the energy of the system and therefore impact the overall enthalpy change of the reaction.

4. Can ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction be positive or negative?

Yes, ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction can be either positive or negative. A positive ΔH indicates that the reaction is endothermic, meaning it absorbs heat from the surroundings. A negative ΔH indicates that the reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases heat to the surroundings.

5. How is ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction used in chemistry?

ΔH for Gas Phase Reaction is an important concept in chemistry because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. It can be used to predict the feasibility of a reaction, as well as the direction in which it will proceed. It is also used in various industries, such as in the production of fuels and pharmaceuticals.