Calculating digits of Grahams' Number

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of Graham's number and the desire to create a program to calculate its digits. The individual was having trouble understanding the Python examples they found and was seeking a hint on how to implement the algorithm in C#. They also provided a link to an article explaining Graham's number and its notation. The suggested approach was to use the modulus function recursively to calculate the rightmost decimal digits of the number.
madmike159
Gold Member
I was reading random topics on Wikipedia the other day, and saw something about the first 500 numbers of Grahams' Number.

I want to create a program (probably in C#) to calculate as many digits from it as I can, but I haven't be able to make sense of the way it is done. Would someone be able to give me a hint of how the algorithm works. The only examples I was able to find were written in Python, which I wasn't really able to get my head around.

Technology news on Phys.org
madmike159 said:
I was reading random topics on Wikipedia the other day, and saw something about the first 500 numbers of Grahams' Number.

I want to create a program (probably in C#) to calculate as many digits from it as I can, but I haven't be able to make sense of the way it is done. Would someone be able to give me a hint of how the algorithm works. The only examples I was able to find were written in Python, which I wasn't really able to get my head around.
It would be helpful if you told us what Graham's number is, with maybe a link to an article about it and possibly the algorithm that you would like to implement in C#.

Related to Calculating digits of Grahams' Number

1. What is Grahams' Number?

Graham's Number is an incredibly large number that was named after mathematician Ronald Graham. It is used in the field of combinatorics and is known to be one of the largest numbers ever used in a mathematical proof.

2. How many digits are in Grahams' Number?

While the exact number of digits in Graham's Number is unknown, it has been estimated to have over 10 trillion digits.

3. How is Grahams' Number calculated?

Graham's Number is calculated through a complex mathematical formula involving exponentiation, tetration, and hyperoperations. It is impossible to write out the entire number, but it can be represented using up-arrow notation.

4. Why is it important to calculate digits of Grahams' Number?

Calculating digits of Grahams' Number helps us better understand its magnitude and the complexity of numbers in mathematics. It also has various applications in computer science and number theory.

5. Is it possible to calculate all the digits of Grahams' Number?

No, it is not possible to calculate all the digits of Grahams' Number due to its immense size. Even with the most advanced technology and computing power, it would take an incredibly long time to compute all the digits.