Calculating displacement and energy in a structure

In summary, the problem is to calculate the energy and displacement of a structure. The displacement (y) at the middle of the beam is needed and the necessary equations can be found in the attached PDF file. The attempt at a solution involved using delta functions to form the moment function M(x), but no solutions were found. There is also a question about calculating the energy due to the force on the beam and whether the full moment equation needs to be used. There is uncertainty about the correctness of the moment equation and whether forces or moments should be added at the end of the beam. The poster is seeking help with this problem.
Engineer_s

Homework Statement

The problem is, calculate the energy and displacement of the structure. What is the displacement (y) in the middle of the beam? See drawing and variables in attached PDF file.

Homework Equations

See PDF file.
Important: To form the moment function M(x), I use delta functions!

The Attempt at a Solution

I did try it, but there are no solutions. Also I use the deltafunction method to write the moment function M(x). This is somewhat difficult. What if I want to calculate the energy due the force on the beam? Do I have to take the full moment equation?

Is my moment equation correct? I do never add moments or forces at the end of the beam because (x-L)=(L-L)=0.

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Attachments

• Scan 4.pdf
    432.3 KB · Views: 298
Physics news on Phys.org
No one that can help me? Thanks

How do you calculate displacement in a structure?

Displacement in a structure can be calculated by measuring the change in position of a point or object in the structure. This can be done through various methods such as using strain gauges, accelerometers, or displacement transducers. The displacement can then be calculated using the formula: displacement = change in position/initial position.

What is the importance of calculating displacement in a structure?

Calculating displacement in a structure is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior and response of the structure under different loads and conditions. It also allows them to identify any potential issues or areas of weakness in the structure that may need to be addressed.

How is energy calculated in a structure?

Energy in a structure can be calculated using the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the energy in a structure can be calculated by adding up all the potential and kinetic energies of different components in the structure.

Why is energy calculation important in structural analysis?

Energy calculation is important in structural analysis because it helps determine the amount of energy that is being absorbed by the structure and whether it is within safe limits. It also allows engineers to optimize the design of a structure to ensure it can withstand expected loads and maintain its integrity.

What are some challenges in calculating displacement and energy in a structure?

Calculating displacement and energy in a structure can be challenging due to the complex nature of structures and the various factors that can affect their behavior. Additionally, the accuracy of measurements and choice of calculation methods can also impact the results. It is important to carefully consider all these factors and use appropriate techniques to ensure accurate and reliable calculations.