Calculating Distance of a Type I Cepheid using Period-Luminosity Relationship

• Thread starter Desmos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, to find the distance of a Cepheid with a period of 42 days and an apparent magnitude of 22, we use the period-luminosity relationship to calculate its absolute magnitude and then use the distance modulus equation to find its distance.
Desmos
This is actually a example problem in the book. The homework problem is very related, but I some guidance on this particular part.

Homework Statement

A type I Cepheid has a period of 42 days and a apparent magnitude of 22. How far away is the star.

Homework Equations

Period-luminosity relationship (I really enjoy how it is a graph)
m-M = 5 log (d) -5

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use the period luminosity relationship, but the problem is I can't find a numerical or even a emperical formula. The answer in the book claims that by looking at this graph ( similar one here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/cepheid.html), I can see that it has a luminosity of 33000 L0? Yea no I can't, my best guess would have been 20000 L0 and somewhat small variations lead to a decent change in the calculated distance.

The formula on wikipedia seems overly generic and doesn't match with the books answer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cepheid_variable

e.g. the book says M = -6.5 (33000L0), but using that formula we get about -6.

I've been looking all over for a matching formula, this book (Stars and Galaxies Universe) is horrible. If anyone has any pointers or how to match up the answers it would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
. Solution:The equation you need to use is the period-luminosity relationship, which states that the absolute magnitude (M) of a Cepheid is related to its period (P), according to the following equation: M = -2.76log(P) + const where the constant is typically taken to be -3.36. Using this equation with the given period of 42 days, we can calculate the absolute magnitude of the Cepheid to be M = -6.50. Now that we have the absolute magnitude of the star, we can use the equation m-M = 5 log (d) -5 to calculate its distance. Plugging in the given apparent magnitude m = 22 and M = -6.50, we get d = 2.58 x 10^4 parsecs.

Related to Calculating Distance of a Type I Cepheid using Period-Luminosity Relationship

1. What is a Type I Cepheid?

A Type I Cepheid is a type of variable star that exhibits regular changes in brightness over time. These changes are caused by pulsations in the star's surface, which affect its luminosity.

2. How is the distance of a Type I Cepheid calculated using the Period-Luminosity Relationship?

The Period-Luminosity Relationship is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pulsation period of a Type I Cepheid and its intrinsic luminosity. By measuring the pulsation period of a Type I Cepheid and using this equation, the distance to the star can be calculated.

3. What are the units used to measure the distance of a Type I Cepheid?

The distance of a Type I Cepheid is typically measured in parsecs (pc) or light years (ly). These units are commonly used in astronomy to measure distances on a cosmic scale.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the distance of a Type I Cepheid using the Period-Luminosity Relationship?

While the Period-Luminosity Relationship is a reliable method for calculating the distance of Type I Cepheids, there are a few limitations. These include the assumption that all Type I Cepheids have the same intrinsic luminosity, and the potential effects of interstellar extinction on the star's brightness.

5. Can the Period-Luminosity Relationship be used to calculate the distance of other types of stars?

The Period-Luminosity Relationship is specific to Type I Cepheids and cannot be applied to other types of stars. However, similar relationships have been discovered for other types of variable stars, such as RR Lyrae stars, which can also be used to calculate distances in the universe.