Calculating Distance Traveled by Semi-Trailer Truck Odometer

• Thread starter Mariesa Yeoman
  • Start date
In summary, a semi-trailer truck's odometer calculates the distance traveled using the number of wheel rotations. In this case, with a wheel diameter of 1.02 m and 210,000 rotations, the odometer should read approximately 673 km. There may be a slight difference based on the use of the rounded value of pi, which should be entered as 3.142 for more accurate calculations.
Mariesa Yeoman

Homework Statement

Semi-trailer trucks have an odometer on one hub of a trailer wheel. The hub is weighted so that it does not rotate, but it contains gears to count the number of wheel revolutions—it then calculates the distance traveled. If the wheel has a 1.02 m diameter and goes through 210,000 rotations, how many kilometers should the odometer read?

Homework Equations

I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly?

The Attempt at a Solution

If the formula is distance/rotation =π * diameter
Then,
Distance = π* diameter * rotations
Meaning,
π * 1.02 * 210,000 = 673,016.4m * 1 km/1000m = 673.02km after rounding?

Physics news on Phys.org
π * 1.02 * 210,000 = 673,016.4m

Really?

Likes berkeman
My calculator gives 672.93km. Maybe try again and use the Pi entry on your calculator instead of rounding it yourself? Not sure where your small error is coming in...

Oh, yeah. If you use pi = 3.142, you get his answer

Likes berkeman
okay great thank you!

Likes berkeman

1. How do I calculate total distance using a map?

First, determine the scale of the map. This is usually indicated by a scale bar or a written scale. Next, measure the distance between two points on the map using a ruler. Finally, multiply the measured distance by the scale to get the total distance.

2. What is the equation for calculating total distance?

The equation for calculating total distance is: distance = rate x time. This means that the distance traveled is equal to the rate of travel (in units such as miles per hour) multiplied by the time it takes to travel.

3. How do I calculate total distance when given multiple distances and directions?

If you are given multiple distances and directions, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the total distance. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

4. How do I calculate total distance when given latitude and longitude coordinates?

To calculate total distance using latitude and longitude coordinates, you can use the Haversine formula. This formula takes into account the curvature of the Earth and can give a more accurate distance calculation than simply using a ruler on a flat map.

5. Can I use an online calculator to calculate total distance?

Yes, there are many online calculators and map tools available that can help you calculate total distance. Some popular options include Google Maps, MapQuest, and GPS Visualizer. However, it's always a good idea to double check your calculations and use multiple sources for accuracy.