Calculating Eigenstates and Eigenvalues of a 2D Quantum Rotor with Perturbation

In summary, the unperturbed Sch equation has eigenvalues -\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2M} and eigenfunctions -\frac{\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}m\phi}}{\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}m+1}}. The perturbed Sch equation has eigenvalues -\epsilon and eigenfunctions -\frac{\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}m\phi}}{\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}m+1}}, but the off diagonal elements are equally 0.
p3rry
Hello!

I need help with this typical quantum problem:

I have a quantum rotor in 2 dimensions. And a perturbation along the x direction:

Here's the unperturbed Sch equation:

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2M}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial \phi^{2}}\psi(\phi)=E\psi(\phi)[/tex]

And here's the perturbation

[tex]H_{1}=-\epsilon \cos(\phi)[/tex]

The text asks me about the eigenstates and their eigenvalues, I suppose it means at the first perturbative order.

I get involved into integrals that seems to be too complicated (I got it from a phd test in which a single exercise it's supposed not to take much time in calculations).

Thank you very much

P3rry

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing down the unperturbed eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

The unperturbed eigenstates are:
[tex]\psi_{m}(\phi)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}m\phi}[/tex]

where [tex]m=0,1 \ldots [/tex]
and the spectrum is
[tex]E_{m}=-\frac{\hbar^{2}m^{2}}{2M}[/tex]

Now, as I said, I got problems in calculating the perturbed spectrum...

Last edited:
p3rry said:
where [tex]m=0,1 \ldots [/tex]
You're missing some of the states ...

Sorry
where [tex]m=0,\pm1,\pm2 \ldots[/tex]

OK, so states with positive m and negative m are degenerate. So you need to use degenerate perturbation theory, which means that you have to "diagonalize the perturbation in the degenerate subspace". Do you know how to do that?

Ok, but I get 0 for every matrix element:

[tex]\left\langle m |H_{1}|m\right\rangle = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\mathrm{d}\phi\mathrm{e}^{-im\phi}(-\epsilon \cos (\phi))\mathrm{e}^{im\phi}=0[/tex]
and the off diagonal elements are equally 0
[tex]\left\langle m |H_{1}|-m\right\rangle = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\mathrm{d}\phi\mathrm{e}^{-im\phi}(-\epsilon \cos (\phi))\mathrm{e}^{-im\phi}=-\frac{\epsilon}{4\pi}\left\{\int_{0}^{2\pi}\mathrm{d}\phi\mathrm{e}^{-i(2m-1)\phi}+\int_{0}^{2\pi}\mathrm{d}\phi\mathrm{e}^{-i(2m+1)\phi}\right\{=0[/tex]
Is that right?
I doubt I have to perform the calculation at the second order. What do you think?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Eigenstates and Eigenvalues of a 2D Quantum Rotor with Perturbation

1. What is a bidimensional quantum rotor?

A bidimensional quantum rotor is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles with rotational degrees of freedom. It is often used to study the dynamics of molecules, such as diatomic molecules, in two dimensions.

2. How is a bidimensional quantum rotor different from a one-dimensional rotor?

A one-dimensional rotor only has rotational degrees of freedom along one axis, while a bidimensional quantum rotor has rotational degrees of freedom in two dimensions. This allows for more complex rotational behavior and interactions between particles.

3. What are the applications of studying bidimensional quantum rotors?

Bidimensional quantum rotors have applications in many areas of physics, including molecular dynamics, quantum computing, and superfluidity. They can also help us understand the behavior of complex systems, such as gases and liquids, at a microscopic level.

4. How is the behavior of a bidimensional quantum rotor described mathematically?

The behavior of a bidimensional quantum rotor is described using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the position and momentum of the rotor, as well as its potential energy and any external forces acting on it.

5. Can bidimensional quantum rotors be observed experimentally?

While bidimensional quantum rotors can be described mathematically, they are challenging to observe experimentally due to the small scales and precise conditions required. However, scientists have been able to simulate their behavior using advanced techniques, such as laser trapping and cooling, and have been able to observe their effects in systems such as ultracold gases.