Calculating Elastic Force and Projectile Motion: Energy/Work Questions

• Thread starter Madeline1844
  • Start date
In summary: What is the equation for Total Energy in terms of Potential Energy and Kinetic Energy?c) (combine a & b...)d) (similar to b)which height has gravity being the only Force applied?The equation for work as a function of force and distance is W=Eg*mgh. For the given equation and information, what height would you need to place the marble to achieve a launch height of 18 meters?The equation for work as a function of force and distance is W=Eg*mgh. For the given equation and information, what height would you need to place the marble to achieve a launch height of 18 meters?
Madeline1844

Homework Statement

An elastic powered slingshot can launch a 100 g marble into the air 18 m by using elastics.
a) W hat is the average force exerted by the elastic if the elastics stretches 65.0 cm before it launches the
marble?
b) How fast is the marble going straight up when it is 10 m above the ground?
c) W hat speed does the marble leave the sling shot?
d) How high is the marble from the ground when it is moving at 10 m/s?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know W=Eg=mgh, but what height would i put for h? 18m or 65 cm?

Physics news on Phys.org
Madeline1844 said:

Homework Statement

An elastic powered slingshot can launch a 100 g marble into the air 18 m by using elastics.
a) W hat is the average force exerted by the elastic if the elastics stretches 65.0 cm before it launches the
marble?
b) How fast is the marble going straight up when it is 10 m above the ground?
c) W hat speed does the marble leave the sling shot?
d) How high is the marble from the ground when it is moving at 10 m/s?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know W=Eg=mgh, but what height would i put for h? 18m or 65 cm?

Welcome to the PF.

a) What is the equation for Work as a function of Force and Distance? Given your W=mgh equation, what is the energy that the marble has when it leaves the launcher?

b) What is the equation for Total Energy in terms of Potential Energy and Kinetic Energy?

c) (combine a & b...)

d) (similar to b)

which height has gravity being the only Force applied?
. . . how do you compute Work from Force?

so (.1)(9.8) (.65) should give me energy/work which i can then rearrange to find force?

Madeline1844 said:
so (.1)(9.8) (.65) should give me energy/work which i can then rearrange to find force?

Not quite. What equation are you trying to use there? What are the units of each quantity? It's a good idea to get in the habit of first writing the equation symbolically and then writing it with numbers and units for each symbol, and then etc... :smile:

I tried using W=Eg=mgh.
(0.1)(9.8)(0.65)
that would give me 0.637 as the p.g.e/work so then i could put it into W=Fd and solve for f
0.637=F(0.65)
0.98N=F

Related to Calculating Elastic Force and Projectile Motion: Energy/Work Questions

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in many different forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, and chemical energy.

2. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J) or sometimes in kilowatt-hours (kWh) for larger amounts. Other units such as calories or British thermal units (BTUs) may also be used, depending on the context.

3. What is the difference between energy and work?

Energy is the ability to do work, while work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In simple terms, energy is the potential to do work, while work is the actual process of using that energy to accomplish something.

4. How can energy be converted from one form to another?

Energy can be converted from one form to another through various processes such as mechanical work, heat transfer, or chemical reactions. For example, a wind turbine converts mechanical energy from the wind into electrical energy, and a battery converts chemical energy into electrical energy.

5. How can energy be conserved?

Energy can be conserved by using it efficiently and reducing waste. This can be achieved through practices such as using energy-efficient appliances and vehicles, insulating buildings, and turning off lights and electronics when not in use. Renewable energy sources can also help conserve energy by reducing our reliance on fossil fuels.