Calculating Electric Potenial Difference

In summary, electric potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field, also known as voltage and measured in volts (V). It is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy by the amount of charge that moves between two points. The unit of measurement is volts (V) and the distance between two points affects electric potential difference according to the inverse-square law. Electric potential difference is significant in understanding electric circuits and determining the direction and strength of electric currents, as well as the required work to move a charge between two points in an electric field.
chef99

Homework Statement

In a TV tube, an electric potential difference accelerates electrons from a rest position towards a screen. Just before striking the screen, the electrons have a wavelength of 1.0 x10-11m. Find the electric potential difference.[/B]

Homework Equations

λ = h/mv

Ek = qΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First, determine the velocity

λ = h/mv

v = h/λm

v = 6.63 x10-34J / (1.0 x10-11m)(9.11 x10-31m/s)

v = 7.28 x10-7Now determine the electric potential difference

Ek = qΔV

1/2 mv2 = eΔV

V = 1/2 mv2 /eΔ

V = 1/2 (9.11 x10-31kg)(7.28 x10-7m/s)2 / (1.60 x10-19C)

V = 1.51 x10-24

The electric potential difference is 1.51 x10-24 V right before the electron strikes the screen.

I am fairly confident in my methods/answer but I haven't had to calculate the electric potential difference before so I just want to make sure I have the right idea. Any feedback would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the velocity, you put an extra minus sign in the exponent. It should be +7. Otherwise, your methodology is correct.

Likes chef99
Charles Link said:
For the velocity, you put an extra minus sign in the exponent. It should be +7. Otherwise, your methodology is correct.
Oh wow, thank you for catching that.

So the electric potential difference is actually 1.51 x10-4

chef99 said:
Oh wow, thank you for catching that.

So the electric potential difference is actually 1.51 x10-4
Try the arithmetic again. I get ## V=1.51 \cdot 10^{+4} ## volts.

Likes chef99

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential difference calculated?

Electric potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy (measured in joules) by the amount of charge (measured in coulombs) that moves between two points.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential difference?

The unit of measurement for electric potential difference is volts (V).

4. How does distance affect electric potential difference?

The electric potential difference between two points is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the electric potential difference decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law.

5. What is the significance of electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing electric circuits. It helps determine the direction and strength of electric currents, as well as the amount of work required to move a charge between two points in an electric field.