Calculating Electromagnetic Wave Intensity in a 30 sq m Room

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of intensity for a machine that radiates a specific frequency of electromagnetic waves. The participants discussed factors such as the type of machine being used, the size of the room, and the type of walls in the room. They also touched on the difference between radio and light waves and how it may impact the intensity calculation. Ultimately, the conversation concluded that the energy density in the room would depend on the absorption coefficient and the power input.
practicaleducator
Hi,
If I build a machine that its sole purpose is to radiate xx Hz of electromagnetic wave, how do I calculate the intensity of the waves? Let's say I put it in the room of 30 sq meters.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. That's a tough question to answer because you are not specifying enough. A "machine" is not normally the way we'd go about producing EM waves. I assume. you mean an electronic device of some sort - we could call that a Transmitter with an aerial and the room would have 'normal' walls; i.e. not metal, other than the odd bits of metal in the wiring and a couple of steel beams. If you're talking in terms of Radio Frequency waves, most of the Power that the transmitter produces would escape through the walls and some of it would be absorbed in the material.
You are jumping into the subject more than half way and it would be more usual to talk in terms of putting the aerial out in 'free space', where it would be radiating its power equally in all directions. (This is actually impossible to achieve and most aerials will have some significant directivity over just a range of directions but just let's assume it's omnidirectional) and that the wavelength is around 0.1m (so it's not large compared with the room size).

If you looked at the Power radiated through the walls of a spherical (well why not?) room with a total wall area of 100m2 and, if the transmitter was radiating 100W, then the 'intensity' of the radiated power through the walls would be 100/100 = 1W per m2. If you had a bigger room with 1000m2 of wall area then the intensity would be 0.1W/m2 as it spreads out over ten times the area etc. etc.

Now tell us what you were really wondering about. It sounds like the results of a conversation in a pub near closing time.(?):smile: Is this a Health and Safety question?

Likes Dale
Is it radio or light?

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
Is it radio or light?
Would it matter, in an ideal case? If the walls are reflective then, as in the RF case, the energy density would depend on the absorption coefficient. Iirc there was a similar thread not long ago in which the total energy stored in the room space would be equal to the power input divided by the fraction absorbed. This would be true whether or not there is a resonance but the transmitter matching might need to be re-tuned to obtain the same power input.

This may not be helping the OP, though.

Likes starprince

What is electromagnetic wave intensity?

Electromagnetic wave intensity is a measure of the strength of an electromagnetic wave. It is a measure of the amount of energy that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time.

How is electromagnetic wave intensity calculated?

Electromagnetic wave intensity is calculated by dividing the power of the wave by the area it is passing through. The formula for calculating intensity is I = P/A, where I is intensity, P is power, and A is area.

What is the unit of measurement for electromagnetic wave intensity?

The unit of measurement for electromagnetic wave intensity is watts per square meter (W/m^2). This unit is used to measure the amount of power that passes through a specific area in a given amount of time.

How can electromagnetic wave intensity be measured in a 30 sq m room?

To measure electromagnetic wave intensity in a 30 sq m room, you will need a power meter and a measuring tape. Measure the dimensions of the room to determine the area (30 sq m). Then, use the power meter to measure the power of the electromagnetic wave in the room. Finally, divide the power by the area to calculate the intensity.

What are some factors that can affect electromagnetic wave intensity in a room?

Some factors that can affect electromagnetic wave intensity in a room include the distance from the source of the wave, the material of the walls and objects in the room, and any interference from other electronic devices. Additionally, the frequency and wavelength of the electromagnetic wave can also impact its intensity.