Calculating electron drift velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate drift velocity using electrical conductivity and mobility. It is determined that the answer obtained through the long way and the simpler method are equivalent.
jisbon
Homework Statement
A Si wafer is doped with arsenic and has an electron concentration of
##3X10^{22}m^{-3}## The electrical conductivity of the wafer is found to be 820
(ohm-m). Calculate the electron drift velocity and mobility when an
electric field of 600 W/m is applied to Si wafer.
Relevant Equations
-
Just wanted to check in my workings to see if they are correct (seemed to be too short to me?)

Since electrical conductivity is 820 (ohm.m) which is = n*e*(mobility)
Mobility =0.17083?
And I can simply get drift velocity by multiplying mobility with an electric field (600V/m)?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The long way might be ##I = \frac{V}{R} = \frac{EL}{R} = EA \sigma## so then ##v_{d} =\frac{I}{neA} = \frac{E \sigma}{ne}## which gives the same answer that you obtained of ##0.17083## multiplied by ##600\text{V}\text{m}^{-1}##, for ##v_{d} = \mu E##, though they're basically equivalent methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
The long way might be ##I = \frac{V}{R} = \frac{EL}{R} = EA \sigma## so then ##v_{d} =\frac{I}{neA} = \frac{E \sigma}{ne}## which gives the same answer that you obtained of ##0.17083## multiplied by ##600\text{V}\text{m}^{-1}##, for ##v_{d} = \mu E##, though they're basically equivalent methods.
Oh cool, thanks :)

1. What is electron drift velocity?

Electron drift velocity is the average speed at which electrons move through a material in response to an electric field.

2. How is electron drift velocity calculated?

Electron drift velocity can be calculated using the formula v = μE, where v is the drift velocity, μ is the electron mobility, and E is the electric field strength.

3. What factors affect electron drift velocity?

The electron drift velocity is affected by the strength of the electric field, the material's electron mobility, and the density of free electrons in the material.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electron drift velocity?

The unit of measurement for electron drift velocity is meters per second (m/s).

5. Why is calculating electron drift velocity important?

Calculating electron drift velocity is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials and for designing electronic devices. It also helps in studying the electrical conductivity of different materials.