Calculating EMF in a Solenoid: Understanding the Relationship of Turns and EMF

In summary: If you hook up N batteries in series with equidirectional polarity, then the total voltage will be the sum of the voltages of each battery.
Adesh
If I have a solenoid with N number of turns in total. And if I say that in each
551E5B25-9ABF-4E43-807C-D7779EEA6F96.jpeg

turn the EMF is equal to [itex] e [/itex] then can I conclude that the total EMF in the solenoid i.e. from A to B is [itex] N \times e[/itex] .
I’m asking this because whenever a current I flows in each turn of the solenoid then we always say that total current flowing through the solenoid is [itex] N \times I [/itex] . So can we say this even for EMF .

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adesh said:
the EMF is equal to e then can I conclude that the total EMF in the solenoid i.e. from A to B is N×e N \times e .
Yes.
Adesh said:
I’m asking this because whenever a current I flows in each turn of the solenoid then we always say that total current flowing through the solenoid is N×I N \times I .
No. The current is I. The number of "Amp-Turns" is NI.

Does that make sense?

Likes vanhees71 and Adesh
berkeman said:
Yes.

Does that make sense?
“Amp-turns” means ?

berkeman said:
Yes.

Does that make sense?
Can you please explain why the EMF got added up?
Is it due to the total work done on a [itex] 1~C[/itex] of charge will be [itex] N \times e[/itex] as in each turn the work done is [itex] e [/itex] ?

EMF is like a voltage. Since each turn has its own EMF or voltage generated by a changing flux through the coil, the little voltage sources are in series so they add up.

The same current flows through the whole coil, so it's all the same current. The flux is generated by the current multiplied by the number of turns, hence the concept of Amp-Turns.

Likes Adesh
berkeman said:
EMF is like a voltage. Since each turn has its own EMF or voltage generated by a changing flux through the coil, the little voltage sources are in series so they add up.

The same current flows through the whole coil, so it's all the same current. The flux is generated by the current multiplied by the number of turns, hence the concept of Amp-Turns.
Thank you. I had a misconception that the current was [itex] N\times I [/itex]. Thank you once again

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
We could also point out that, once the Field has built up to its final value, there is no Induced ('back') emf and the Resistance of the Coil is the only thing defines the current through it. The Potential drop across each turn is Total PD / N and the Current = V/R. Solenoids tend to have as low resistance as possible (thickest wire for the space available for your N turns) so the final current can be very high.
'Amp Turns' is a term that may not make sense at first but many turns with low current can produce the same flux as few turns with high current. The choice of N depends on available power supply and how hot the coil can be allowed to get (resistive heating).

Likes sysprog, Adesh and berkeman
Adesh said:
Thank you. I had a misconception that the current was [itex] N\times I [/itex]. Thank you once again
The current is of course constant along the wire (in DC). The reason is simply charge conservation. In the stationary case at any cross section of the wire the charge per unit of time flowing through must be the same. However, using Ampere's Law you have to count how many times this current runs through the area in the integral, and that's ##N## times, i.e., you have (in SI units)
$$\int_{\partial A} \mathrm{d} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{B}=\mu_{0} \int_A \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{j}=\mu_0 N I.$$

Likes sysprog and Adesh
Each turn is like a battery of so many V emf.
What happens when you hook up N batteries in series with equidirectional polarity?

Likes Adesh

What is EMF and how is it related to a solenoid?

EMF stands for electromotive force, and it is the force that drives electric current through a circuit. In a solenoid, EMF is created by the changing magnetic field as the current flows through the coil.

How do you calculate EMF in a solenoid?

The formula for calculating EMF in a solenoid is EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil.

What is the relationship between the number of turns in a solenoid and its EMF?

The number of turns in a solenoid is directly proportional to its EMF. This means that as the number of turns increases, the EMF also increases.

How does changing the number of turns in a solenoid affect its EMF?

Changing the number of turns in a solenoid will directly affect its EMF. Increasing the number of turns will result in a higher EMF, while decreasing the number of turns will result in a lower EMF.

Can you have a solenoid without any EMF?

No, a solenoid cannot exist without any EMF. The presence of an electric current and a changing magnetic field is necessary for EMF to be generated in a solenoid.