Calculating EMF of a Cell: Ni(s) | Ni2+ (0.1M) || Au3+ (1.0M) | Au (s)

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Emf
In summary, the homework statement is that the EMF of the cell is Ni(s) | Ni2+ (0.1M) || Au3+ (1.0M) | Au (s).
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The EMF of the cell : Ni(s) | Ni2+ (0.1M) || Au 3+ (1.0M) | Au (s) is

[ given E°(Ni2+/Ni)= -0.25V; E° (Au3+ / Au )= +1.50V ]

Homework Equations

E°cell=E°(cathode)-E°(anode) For SRP.
Nernst equation

The Attempt at a Solution

SOP is given, therefore converting to SRP we take minus sign of both. Now Ni to Ni2+ is at anode and Au3+ to Au is at cathode. Therefore E(cell)= -1.5-0.25= -1.75V
Writing balanced reaction 3Ni+2Au3+ gives 3Ni2+ + 2Au, no. of electrons transferred=6.
Putting into nernst equation, EMF should be -1.75-(0.059/6)log(0.1)^3 which gives the wrong answer. Where am I wrong, I'd appreciate some help

Physics news on Phys.org
Why have you got log(0.1)^3 ? Write out the Nernst equation in full for this cell.

Ok, so we have E°=-1.75, RT/F=0.059, Q=[Ni2+]^3/[Au3+]^2=(0.1)^3/(1)^2=(0.1)^3
replacing in E=E°-2.303(RT/nF)logQ we get the equation I wrote in"Attempt at a solution"

Sorry, I misread the question, I thought [Au3+] was also 0.1M.
I think you've got the signs wrong. E for the cell is ER - EL by convention
Ecell = E(Au3+/Au) - E(Ni2+/Ni)
= E0(Au3+/Au) - E0(Ni2+/Ni) + RT/nF*log([Au3+]2/[Ni2+]3)

mjc123 said:
Sorry, I misread the question, I thought [Au3+] was also 0.1M.
I think you've got the signs wrong. E for the cell is ER - EL by convention
Ecell = E(Au3+/Au) - E(Ni2+/Ni)
= E0(Au3+/Au) - E0(Ni2+/Ni) + RT/nF*log([Au3+]2/[Ni2+]3)
The magnitude should remain the same (note that reversing the terms inside log reverses its sign)

Alright, I realized my mistake. I got confused in sign conventions. Thank you for your help :D

You might find it helpful
(i) to do the Nernst equation on each electrode separately; that way you ought to get the magnitude of the cell potential right, even if you get the sign convention wrong.
(ii) to think Le Chatelier - if I increase the concentration of X, will that pull the equilibrium to the right or left - increase or decrease cell potential?

mjc123 said:
You might find it helpful
(i) to do the Nernst equation on each electrode separately; that way you ought to get the magnitude of the cell potential right, even if you get the sign convention wrong.
(ii) to think Le Chatelier - if I increase the concentration of X, will that pull the equilibrium to the right or left - increase or decrease cell potential?
Very helpful tips, thank you

1. What is the equation for calculating the EMF of a cell?

The equation for calculating the EMF (electromotive force) of a cell is E = E°cell - (RT/nF)lnQ, where E°cell is the standard cell potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, n is the number of moles of electrons transferred in the balanced redox reaction, F is Faraday's constant, and Q is the reaction quotient.

2. How do I determine the standard cell potential for this cell?

To determine the standard cell potential for this cell, you will need to look up the standard reduction potentials for the half-reactions involving Ni and Au. Then, use the Nernst equation (E°cell = E°cathode - E°anode) to calculate the standard cell potential. In this case, the standard cell potential can be determined using the half-reactions: Ni2+ + 2e- --> Ni(s) and Au3+ + 3e- --> Au(s).

3. What is the purpose of the salt bridge in this cell?

The purpose of the salt bridge in this cell is to maintain charge balance and allow for the flow of ions between the two half-cells. This prevents a buildup of charge and allows the cell to continue operating. In this case, the salt bridge allows for the flow of Ni2+ and Au3+ ions between the two half-cells.

4. How does the concentration of the electrolyte solutions affect the EMF of the cell?

The concentration of the electrolyte solutions affects the EMF of the cell by changing the reaction quotient (Q) in the Nernst equation. As the concentration of the electrolytes increases, the value of Q increases, leading to a decrease in the EMF of the cell. Conversely, a decrease in concentration leads to an increase in the EMF of the cell.

5. Can this equation be used to calculate the EMF of any type of cell?

No, this equation is specifically for calculating the EMF of a cell with standard conditions and a single redox reaction. Other types of cells, such as concentration cells or cells with multiple redox reactions, have different equations for calculating their EMF.